Should you turn appliances off at the powerpoint?

Way! Is it actually being pushed at all? I have a 650w driving two GPUs plus all sorts of paraphernalia, and it’s been running happily for several update cycles.

The screen jumbling is a problem because they are using different interfaces (and different GPUs - it’s hard to find a single GPU with six outputs, although AMD did make some several years ago). My understanding is that Windows prioritises based upon which the computer can talk to first. This is an issue when coming out of sleep/hibernation.

It generally doesn’t jumble ‘which screen goes where’ (although that has happened), but definitely jumbles what is on which screen - and I like my windows organised a particular way. (I tend to have a couple of dozen things running at any one time, so shutting down overnight costs more than leaving the PC running and letting the monitors etc. power off.)

2 Likes

I use up to 1100 w at times so yes 1200 w was the best bet in PSU capacity. Most machines can work ok on about 550 to 800 w but not all do. RX 580 & Vega cards handle at least 4 monitors but my 580 will run 5 (I use 2 off it) plus for non pushed tasks the internal GPU can pick up another 2 (I use 1 off it) at least eg Word docs, simple spreadsheets, browser pages, and streamed content among those. I do at times run a projector as well off another and a VR headset.

3 Likes

We compared the lowest and highest standby costs across our home entertainment, IT and appliances categories. Included are some top tips for reducing standby energy costs. You can find the article here.

3 Likes

Haven’t bothered setting time on my microwave for years. It works fine without and if theres a blackout… doesn’t matter

4 Likes

On mine so many components of the display no longer illuminate reading anything is a Rorschach test. To set the power and time we count the beeps, if you lose count clear and start again.

7 Likes