Should the compulsory grocery unit pricing scheme be expanded to cover other shops and products?

I would take another approach, and say that unit pricing should apply to everything. To be exempt, the retailer or manufacturer would need to justify and have approved why unit pricing would be inappropriate (for a product or product group).

The Government seems to divide business matters up by turnover and staff, so business sizes are defined as having more or less than $xx per annum turnover, or more or less than xx staff. This is the way it should be with unit pricing too. The reason is that I am thinking that a quite small footprint store in a major city’s CBD could have the same or higher turnover than a larger footprint store out in the country.

I agree with the issues raised by @Peterchu that concentration of active ingredient is going to also be an important consideration. This applies to anything with chemicals such as pharmaceuticals, insecticides, gardening products, laundry products, bathroom products, etc.

3 Likes

It is a very unusual situation and I’m very interested in it.So, can you provide any more info?
For example, was there any indication of the volume of the ice boxes or eskies and did they have different selling prices? And could you buy a smaller volume and would be charged $2 per litre?

1 Like

Good to know you have an interest IJ.

I was hoping to get some pics, however the business popped up and then disappeared in less than two weeks. The lead up to Christmas and gone!

The road side billboards offered no further information other than the $2 per litre slogan. There was a large stack of various coloured and styles of eskies outside the stall and a small Ute poised for action.

Will make the extra effort if it reappears and pull over, and conduct a suitable enquiry into the unique marketing strategy.

1 Like

Everything should also be standardised so the unit price is in kilos, not mls or gms.

I’ve recently seen various brands of the same product in similar sized cans with different measures, grams and kilos which makes it even more difficult to compare.

One shop I go to has hand-written labels on the shelf edges. Not much on them but price and I’m fine with that. I really like the Irish guideline. And I prefer the very large (A4 or similar) hand-written signs at the green-grocer and fruit/veg markets at which I shop.