Should the amount of product in a package have to be displayed on the front of the package?

Great. many thanks for doing that. I hope others follow your terrific example.

My submission will address many more issues and i am still working on it.

6 Likes

I also want them to address the dodgy E weights that have crept into, mainly, meat packaging.
It is ,either ,a specific weight or it’s not. Some of the E weights have been well below the mark, eg E of 500g, actual 275g. !!

4 Likes

I am of the opinion that ‘e weights’ are OK but only if it is a minimum weight, not an average weight. Our last 500g e of mince was 497g according to my kitchen scale. I thought I bought 500g not a paltry 497g. I am not into entertaining the arguments about scale accuracy that maybe my 497 is really 500 or even 507; it (e weights) is what it is.

I personally am not impressed by arguments about how much such rorts in favour of business ‘efficiency’ helps business. I want honest weights and measures.

4 Likes

To lodge a complaint send an email to Infotm@measurement.gov.au

4 Likes

Have you ever made any complaints to NMI (eg via the email address infotm@measurement.gov.au) about short measure, and if so what happened?

I don’t think I have made any about that but have made many about non, or non- compliant, provision of quantity info on packaged products. And, although as a matter of policy they do not provide feedback on the outcome, they seem to have followed up with an investigation. And, where i was able to check later for change, that often had occurred.

One problem they experience with consumer complaints about short measure is, as you note, the possible inaccuracy of the measuring instrument (scales and volume measures) used by the consumer.

For some time I have been considering preparing and publicising tips for consumers about how to identify and complain about possible breaches of the current measurement laws, esp. re short measure and provision of measurement info, Any thoughts on whether this might be worth doing?

NMI only seems to publicise the tips below on how consumers can help traders to comply with the requirement that consumers “get what they pay for”. Not the provision of quantity information, which is covered by several requirements, including the front of pack requirement (for all except wine and imported cosmetics) that this post is about. .

• Check the quantity statement on the goods you buy.
  • Make sure you have a clear view of scales when you buy goods by weight over the counter. The trader must place the scales must so you can see the weight, price per kilogram, total price and goods being weighed. If not, they should provide you with a written statement of the measurement.
  • Ensure scales display zero weight before the trader weighs your goods.
  • Make sure there are no other items on the scales and the trader only weighs the goods you are purchasing when they calculate the price.
  • Check the price per kilogram on the scales matches the advertised price.
  • Check the total price on the scales is the price you’re charged at the checkout.
  • Check your receipt to ensure the calculated price matches the advertised price.
  • Pay only for the product, not the packaging material. In many stores, traders set the electronic checkout scales to automatically deduct the weight of the packaging during the weighing process. In other stores, staff manually set the scale to deduct the weight of the packaging materials. For example, when you buy apples in a plastic bag you should only pay for the apples. If you buy potato salad at the deli counter you should only pay for the salad, not for the weight of the plastic container.
  • If you are not present while the goods are measured, make sure you get a receipt that states the measurement used.
  • At the service station, after you have picked up the nozzle and before you start filling your fuel tank, make sure the display of the fuel dispenser is indicating all zeros on the volume and total price indicators.
4 Likes