CHOICE membership

Shonky Real Estate Agent Exposed

I think we should reserve “shonky” for things that are actually shonky. There are enough dodgy operators around delivering sub-standard products or services or failing to deliver what they advertise or carrying out misleading advertising. Something isn’t “shonky” or “corrupt” solely because a person disagrees with or disapproves of it.

I’m pretty sure that this is a one-night boom and that this will prove my point that rents really do sometimes go down. :wink:

There are many other words that you could choose: greedy? excessive?

The question is: Is someone actually going to pay $2000 for one night? There is sometimes a gap between what the seller asks and the price that the transaction actually takes place at (or maybe no transaction takes place at all because a price cannot be agreed). I know I wouldn’t pay that but maybe someone will.

See also: Shonky Real Estate Agent Exposed

1 Like

Great location.
Likely negotiable, does $2000 for a room confer bragging rights?

What price a ticket, or a corporate, priority seat?
The stadium has a nominal capacity of just 25,000.

Supply and demand for those enthusiastic enough. No different in many ways to how we value many things in life. From a $20,000 off road accessory packs on the family 4WDs to the value of artworks.

P.S.
A little tongue in cheek, as we have family in Townsville. It’s a two day drive each way though. Worth it for family - but not for a Professional Rugby League event?

1 Like

But they are not jacked up to exorbiant prices for a single day.

Businesses like these should be named, shamed and boycotted just like the COVID ripp-off merchants.

Granted that a single day is uncommon, there are many examples of seasonal variation of prices - whether it’s fruit and veg, airline flights, petrol - caused by changing supply and/or demand.

In your opinion. I think we are never going to agree on what “should” happen in this case.

High prices at certain times are nothing unusual. We see it all the time with the electricity spot market. Scalpers selling tickets for way above face value. Demand pricing on share ride taxi services. Seasonal pricing on accomodation and travel.
A cyclone hits QLD and watch the price of bananas shoot up.
If someone is willing to pay an exhorbitant amount for some accomodation because a rugby match is on, then that is up to them.
I fail to see how this is shonky.

1 Like

I simply posted under an existing topic which was near enough for this bottom-feeding behaviour.

It may not be illegal but it is very poor form for businesses who want to stay in business, just like the disgusting behaviour of Gadget City price gouging customers for some 10 times the price of infra-red thermometers after the pandemic hit, or Mosaic Brands selling shonky hand sanitiser, or Livingstone’s super inflated mask prices, and so on.

Back when we used to visit our Townsville operation in the 1990’s, we often had dinner at the Yongala Lodge Restaurant in the historic building, which had a fantastic calamari entree.

I don’t remember it having accomodation back then but their website indicates that it is now only accomodation and no food, apart from possible bottom-feeding.

Even if the restaurant was still there with the same great menu, I would not return under any circumstances after this disgusting price-gouging behaviour.

What we need are websites to list this type of disgusting behaviour so that consumers can be informed about it and vote with their feet and their wallets by boycotting these “businesses”.

And the straight out of left field question is that if Origin One had not been relocated to Townsville, would these disgusting price-gougers have been crying in their beer for more Government handouts instead of engaging in virtual highway robbery?

But this is the point. Selling shonky hand san is illegal (a breach of the law) and is shonky. Selling shonky hand san is not “very poor form”, it is a breach of the law.

I think that by conflating the two you are, to a small degree, letting Mosaic Brands off the hook.

However the waters are always muddy, as:

in some jurisdictions for some tickets may also be a breach of the law! Citation: https://djpr.vic.gov.au/ticket-scalping

1 Like

Yet Nestle earned a Shonky for Milo, by giving 4.5 Stars to Milo’s Nutrition…it wasn’t illegal, it just used the system to allow it to offer that rating based on that it was mixed with milk. CHOICE argued that it should have been based on what came out of the can and awarded a Shonky. I see the point that @Fred123 is making that it is an extreme rate rise that then impacts visitors who are not attending the Footy but do need to domicile in the City on that day eg attending a Medical Appointment or a legal case. Seasonal rates do occur and sometimes the impact is large but this seems somewhat obscene in it’s rise.

2 Likes

Is the real cause for concern the relocation of the event from Melbourne to Townsville at short notice? We recently spent nearly a week in the city for a wedding. Advanced bookings for accommodation had become tight from around the announcement of the cheap airfares deal by the PM. This was evident from discussions with other family and knowledge of two significant accomodation providers.

Rather than criticise the providers, should more be asked of the NRL and deal done with the Qld Govt?

For every $2,000 night how many nights have our destinations gone without or sold rooms at below cost?
It’s only worth $2,000 if someone is able and prepared to pay that. Anyone coming into town for other essential needs is likely to have prebooked, or changed their date to avoid.

@Fred123 observation is telling us what can happen. It’s unlikely to be a one off. Townsville is much more than a tourism destination, catering more for government, business and NQ local holiday travellers.

While the US market is different, so are sports lovers everywhere. Check the cost for a Super Bowl ticket and accommodation for the weekend in the USA. The latter varies by location and how far ahead one books and obviously the hotel, but it makes the $2,000 look almost reasonable.

All obviously $USD for our local readers who might be interested in attending.

Regular tickets, seat dependent, $4,000~$15,000 each.
Boxes, $60,000~$600,000
A standard room can be had for about $300~500 per night a year early at a modest place, heading toward $2,000+ nearer the day as guidance.

Might make attending Origin look like a bargain, airfares not included.

2 Likes

No deal would change the number of rooms in the city and Townsville accomodation used to regularly totally book out just for the Cowboys home games.

However, I never heard of any price gouging on those occassions.

I would expect that any ethical businesses would be delighted that they would be at full capacity due to their luck in scoring the Origin game, and would not want to stoop to blatant price gouging.

Perhaps many of them were on the JobKeeper wagon until recently.

I sincerely hope that everyone they rip-off posts their sordid experiences and those who have been treated properly post their positive experiences on Tripadvisor.

We would never consider staying anywhere without having checked it and the other options on Tripadvisor.

That will certainly assist future visitors to know who to support and who to avoid like the plague.

Very much a case of unbridled greed for short term gain and long term pain.

2 Likes

Another grub.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/drunk-real-estate-agent-charged-with-perjury-ruined-senior-cops-career/29b4c7fa-345e-4b83-a379-9a57dd755350

Another shonky agent?

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/aussie-first-home-buyer-stitched-up-over-10k-cleanup-bill-previous-owners-left/a55acf72-4708-426d-8b1b-a75386fa732f

Absolutely disgraceful.

Possibly not. The contract should have been terminated or costs of cleaning removed from the sale price on settlement. The buyers chose to continue with settlement even though a final inspection was refused and they knew there was a high possibility that it hadn’t been cleaned.

It is an important lesson for anyone. Unless one is happy with the condition of a property before settlement, settlement should be deferred/not proceed.

1 Like

I’ll add shonky because, as you wrote,

Sometimes a buyer has a time pressure whereby any delay could be very costly. When we bought our home all the time ducks fell into order beyond wildest expectations and any delays would have added storage and/or delivery costs and additional rent on temporary premises. It would have been $5,000 if more than 2 days needed to be added - but it went perfectly.

A buyer with similar choices might fold to get it done and save collateral costs.

2 Likes

It could be costly, but I understand there are avenues to claim costs against the party that caused the delay. If settlement couldn’t occur because there was a breach of contract, it is easy to work out who caused the delay.

There is possibly more to this story.

They may be, but it reads like that is just another case where a ‘victim’ has the onus to go about the task of assuring their rights.

1 Like

Especially where they have aligned the sale of their previous property to the purchase and moving into the new. Bridging loans, not having a place to live, removals storage costs. We’ve seen several family members recently take this two settlements in the same day approach. The stress levels with more than one million dollars in play across two properties are for the very confident.

There’s a line between an agreed deferral and a failed settlement/contract.

1 Like

You should probably start with: a shonky vendor.

The responsibility to maintain the property condition between exchange and settlement (doesn’t seem to have been a problem here i.e. the property always looked like s***), and the responsibility to meet all conditions in the contract rests with the vendor, not the vendor’s agent.

It is true that it is reported that the vendor’s agent made certain representations and it is not clear whether those representations were made in good faith on the basis of information provided by the vendor.

Regardless, the ensuing discussion pretty much covers it. The purchaser is between a rock and a hard place, and once the purchaser agrees to settle, the purchaser in practice is assuming a pretty large amount of risk.

(That said, there is a certain amount of risk even in exchanging contracts on a property in this condition. That is, would the purchaser have been better to walk away without making an offer and suggesting to the vendor’s agent that the vendor clean the place up? I’ve looked at a couple of places like that over the years, on both occasions when the place is tenanted. Best option: Walk away. Suggest to the vendor’s agent that the tenants be terminated, where applicable, and the property be cleaned up.)

I’ve been on both sides of this problem on actual settlement (although nowhere nowhere nowhere near as yuck as this property) and there are usually no easy answers.

The purchaser may do best to approach the vendor and try to negotiate an outcome - but with a property in that kind of condition, you wonder whether the vendor is still contactable.

For example, a certain amount withheld pending a professional clean.

3 Likes

At least this agent is being upfront about this listing.