Shingles Vaccines

The report was published by the Australian Govt in 2018. It provides hard data on the incidence and consequences, qualified per the text. Data always lags real time.

What does that have to do with the data in the report. It is not about any particular vaccine. It puts the rate of infection, hospitalisation and death rate into context. It’s a good base line to compare the current program against.

If you have any more recent data on the vaccination rates, hospitalisations etc, that would be useful.

1 Like

According to GSK the vaccine will be available in Autumn of this year (2021), it however will only be available by private script and GSK will not currently be looking to add it to the PBS system. This news was current as at 9 Nov 2020.

4 Likes

There are a lot of Australians aged 16 and over (data source ABS population figures 2019)

1 Like

We will be getting Shingrix by private script (just like did private script for old Zostavax when it was ‘new’)
Hopefully “August in 2021” is southern hemisphere August.

1 Like

It is over seventies who get little protection from the old Zostavqx because it is less effective in older people, and its protection wanes significantly in time after vacination.

Any justification to keep old Zostavax on the NIP list can also be used to replace it on the NIP list with Shingrix.

1 Like

Around that time as it was an Australian publicity release and they will not be seeking NIP inclusion.

1 Like

I had the Zostavax, at 51% efficacy, when it was available at no cost from the Federal Government, and when Shingrix at 90% efficacy becomes available later this year, I will be more than happy to pay for it myself, since it wont be on the PBS, as I believe it is worth it.

5 Likes

grahroll - do you have a source for the information that Shingrix will be available in Australia in 2021 autumn?
March is start of autumn in Oz

We have a private script for shingrix and wish to give relevant information to our usual pharmacy when take script there to be filled.

https://au.gsk.com/en-au/products/our-prescription-medicines-and-vaccines/vaccines/shingrix/ doesn’t say anything (literally)

2 Likes

PM’d reply to you re the dates verification.

Zostavax, our ‘standard’ and free via Medicare for over 70’s is no longer available in the US market (from November 2020). It was replaced by Shingrix.

I have no intention to start a debate on the quality or efficacy of vaccines as happened in the COVID topic, just to put out what is available and how they compare.

Note the US CDC feels the need to include 'how do I pay for it?’ reflecting the for-profit US medical system and potential avenues for assistance; a segment of Americans will fall into the ‘so sad too bad, no money, no assistance, no vaccine’ basket.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html

For balance, our more conservative local advice.

https://www.ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2021-06/Zoster%20vaccine%20for%20Australian%20adults_18%20June%202021_Final.pdf

Being a chickenpox ‘survivor’ and having a number of friends who had shingles, some severe, even though I had Zostavax I just got my first Shingrix injection. Not cheap at $281.38 (each dose, today’s price, Chemist Warehouse) with a bit back from my private health fund. I discovered most chemists need to order it in and those who have any typically have single doses in their fridges. It is new here, it is expensive, there is a free alternative most receive, it is not a widely known vaccine yet so local demand is an unknown re inventory control.

Will (when) Shingrix get on PBS with or replace Zostavax? Medicare and PBS funding is allocated to provide the best outcomes for the most Australians.

6 Likes

I too had Zostavax in the past (private script) and have had my first Shingrix injection (private script). Second one is recommended to be between two and six months after first, going to ask my GP for advice on that as it seems like quite a difference between 2 and 6.
Avoiding the agonies that family members have gone through with shingles is the incentive for me.

3 Likes

WOW! Lets me out, just cant afford that. Lets hope it ends up on the PBS. I haven’t had a Zostavax, did not even know I was eligible as my GP at the time was completely disinterested in… well… anything… Would it be worth getting Zostavax whilst waiting for Shingrix to appear?

1 Like

Some useful information. There are straight forward recommendations based on age groups and higher risks.

Independent of the discussion of which vaccine, it’s worth noting from the handbook (updated Nov 2020, despite the date in the link),

Herpes zoster is a notifiable disease in most states and territories in Australia.

State and territory public health authorities can provide advice about the public health management of herpes zoster, including management of cases and their contacts.

I was a little surprised at it not being raised by my partners GP given her recent birthday. The GP surgery and mine are not backward at drumming up business for other age related concerns.

Not to play down the consequences of severe shingles, is a severe infection so uncommon most GPs are not that concerned?

P.S. NZ has some similar recommendations and vaccine data. Their handbook is a 2020 version.

1 Like

Ask your GP - I doubt any of us are practitioners ;).

Zostavax was the standard until Shingrix came along. Zostavax is approved in Australia for anyone over 50, and free for 70+ (Medicare).

Searching the Australian Government Department of Health Immunisation Handbook is interesting because Zostavax gets a hit and Shingrix not while from the CDC web site linked above,

A shingles vaccine called Zostavax is no longer available for use in the United States, as of November 18, 2020. If you had Zostavax in the past, you should still get Shingrix. Talk to your healthcare provider to determine the best time to get Shingrix.

I have no intention to start a debate on the quality or efficacy of vaccines as happened in the COVID topic, just to put out what is available and how they compare.

2 Likes

Sounds like you need a new GP.

Our GP’s clinic has posters and brochures on many subjects in the waiting room including one very graphic one of someone with shingles.

I got mine this year as soon as I was 70.

2 Likes

Realising under 70s need to pay, Zostavax is ‘only’ $192.50 (today’s price, Chemist Warehouse) in comparison, but is a single dose vaccine.

2 Likes

Already got one. The one that left the surgery with the disinterested one, moved a bit further away but its been good to get back to him.

3 Likes

Shingrix is already available, so no need to wait. It is a two jab vaccine (jabs 2 to 6 months apart)
I have had my first Shingrix and next week I’ll have my second one. My local pharmacy had no problems ordering it in.

1 Like

With the cost being what it is… I’ll make do with the one I can get for free.

1 Like

It was quite a while back I called the Pharmacy company who makes Shingrix. Demand was super high in the US and as it is a 2 shot dosage they just didn’t have enough to export supplies ( or maybe not at the cost our government was/is prepared to pay)

1 Like