Sharing and Coordinating Tests with Partners

We oldies are buying some baby things for a new granddaughter and found (not unexpectedly) the product ranges Choice is able to test misses many brands and products we are interested in.

Google to the rescue, sort of. A particular high chair where the brand is not even in the Choice list of brands, let alone tested, was tested by Which! (member content).

As with many internet subscriptions individual ones might not be so expensive, but when there are so many, each wanting (eg) $100 p.a. or $10 per view it quickly becomes an economic challenge so we need to pick and chose the sites and orgs to support as paying members.

Choice has republished a few tests such as the ebikes from ConsumerNZ with Aussie adjustments. While particular product specifications may vary from market to market, has Choice done much to try coordinating tests and selected products with its sister organisations to conduct joint tests or share test reports and thus represent a wider range than would otherwise be affordable for every organisation to individually test ‘the lot’?

I and hopefully others are aware Choice and the others work closely together as well as sometimes cross host staff so going a step further would seem mutually beneficial by making each organisation’s offer more compelling, as well as addressing pressures of test affordability.

4 Likes

I just looked at the Which? website.

Interesting to see they also tested hand sanitisers and found shonky brands.

1 Like

Not just with baby things. This is true across so many product areas unfortunately. I am aware of the limitations Choice works under, and the incredibly wide range of products available in Australia. But it can still be a source of frustration seeing a ‘big brand’ item that was not included in the tests. Is it a good one, or is it a dud? Should we take the risk or not?

Perhaps as @PhilT suggests if there was more cross access for members of each organisation, it would work like a venn diagram with multiple leaves, where there would be some overlaps but also each organisation would have their own interests not covered by others. All the organisations’ members would benefit significantly.

3 Likes