Shampoos and Conditioners for Hair Care

It’s been a while since Choice did a review of hair care.

Around Christmas last year I tried Olive Oil Bar Soap/ Shampoo for hair… Now 2 months in and I’ve used half a bar… (i’m the only one who is using it)

I find my hair is stronger, doesn’t get oily and the only minor complaint is that it gets a bit tangly after I wash it.

In general it feels healthier and stronger.

Has anyone had any experience with soap shampoo?

6 Likes

I bought a seaweed bar shampoo in Wales last year and have been using it and find my hair feels cleaner. I don’t use a conditioner with it and agree about the tangles but use a wide toothed comb which helps. My son and daughter in law visited from the UK over Christmas and brought me another 2 bars which will probably last about a year.

I was washing my hair every couple of days, now it can last an extra day. I haven’t tried any of the bar shampoos that are on sale in Australia. The brand I use is only available by mail order in the UK.

1 Like

I use ‘Rosemary & Nettle Shampoo Bar’ surprised that shampoo soap is not big here… Have been using it for 2 months now and will use it for another 2.

I find that hair stays clean upto 5 days when I don’t go anywhere, and if I work then every 4 days… Before I washed it every 2 days.

Have to keep it away from steam as it contains Olive Oil.

I’m a convert. I thought that the bar will last a month or 2 at most and figured that it will be expensive… glad to see that I was wrong.

Good to see a review of solid bar shampoos. I’ve started using solid shampoos/conditioners to avoid plastic bottles. I’m amazed by the results. I have very thick shoulder length hair, and it’s never been better, and seems to require less washing than previously. I used some Ethique samplers which were very good, and then tried Lush bars, which I love. A bar costs about $15, but is supposed to last the same as 3 bottles of shampoo. The conditioner would last even longer. Your hair feels tangly and weird at first, not as sleek and easily combed out as with bottled product, so use a flexible bristle brush for detangling to make it easier. And the lovely scent lasts for days! :smiley:

1 Like

The source bulk food 165g bar costs $9.95, I am road testing it so the only one using it… have another few weeks left. Just might make 5 months…

No conditioner, the hair is a bit tangly and never sleek but so so much healthier and stronger.

1 Like

Some very important advice regarding using shampoo and hair conditioner after a nuclear explosion.

Probably the least concern following such an event.

1 Like

It would be useful if Choice reviewed hair conditioners for different hair types*, especially since you don’t appear to have done these before.

Also I agree with others that Choice is overdue for an update on reviews of hair shampoos. Both types of products are subject to lots of marketing hype - with associated extreme pricing - particularly targeting women.

I am a skeptic but would like a decent, ethical and green product and prepared to pay for it - but only if it works and lives up to their ethical and green claims.

• Hair types should include oily, normal and dry/damaged hair.
3 Likes

Welcome to the community.

I have moved your post to an earlier thread to join others with the same request. Good luck with your request. @requestatest

There is another thread you can look at in relation to Shampoo ethical ratings, though if I remember correctly the rating was for the business and not for the product.

1 Like

I switched off to soap shampoo over a year ago. One bar costs me $11 used to be 10 and one bar lasts me as long as 3 medium size bottles.

Hair is healthier and stronger. Doesn’t meed to be washed as often

PLUS nothing is going into the landfill.

2 Likes

I do not think I have heard of these before. Which one do you use?

Too many options but I get this one

I cut it into 4 chunks and that way it lasts longer.

I think Priceline carries a range , Lush plus every single eco store carries something. This one worked so I stopped looking.

2 Likes