Servos With Full Service or Assistance

I only go to sevos that give driveway service. Any thing else is not a servo.

1 Like

I would be at a loss to find one with driveway service anywhere around my outer Melbourne locale. There might be one, but.

As for ‘self checkout’ some servos have pay at the pump facilities, such as apps (BPme, and Caltex FuelPay) or card terminals (Costco, 24x7 unattended servos, and a few others). They save queuing, you do not need to leave your vehicle so it is less likely to be stolen, and you can socially isolate.

The original analogy was that putting your grocery shop across the scanners, bagging them, and paying is taking jobs but consider that virtually every driver on the road has long put in their own fuel yet obligingly walked into the C-store or office to pay, taking the jobs from the driveway attendants. Yet to save a few cents per litre I don’t remember much pushback.

caveat: I try my best to avoid self checkouts for many reasons, but love the discussion in the face of evolving retail.

3 Likes

I support the SERVICE servos for the sake of my car maintenance, and because I have arthritis in my hands - I cannot use the pump.

3 Likes

While off topic for supermarkets

You are fortunate to have one or more left where you live. I checked 2 petrol company ‘servo finders’ and neither has a filter or display for full service.

They show c-store, toilets, showers, ATMs, prices and fuels, but not if they offer full service. Perhaps none do (at least in metro and more built up areas?) as the general rule and they do not wish to highlight that?

An interesting question to ask the companies is how people with various challenges are catered for, or if they are, and how one discovers ‘friendly’ places. eg How does one find a full service servo?

3 Likes

Regional New Zealand

Better be quick though.

It would be a surprise if they are not, given the substantial effort that is ongoing into improving accessibility in general. Or perhaps not so?

https://vacc.com.au/Programs/Service-Station-Assistance

2 Likes

I tried to find anything relevant, and then anything useful from that VACC site and came up empty. (200km range)

2 Likes

I know 4 in Greater Hobart, and one in Sandy Bay, so lucky. I did ask Choice a few years ago, about reviewing servos for service, not just pump price. There must be many other people with arthritis, who are also unable to spread the hand enough to hold the pump, or exert enough pressure to have an effect.

4 Likes

I posed the question to RACV. I’ll add their reply once received.

3 Likes

A self servo perhaps?

2 Likes

Around a decade ago, we bought fuel from a run down servo in a whistle stop in Western Qld which consisted with an ancient fuel pump at the unattended BP servo which displayed a notice for customers to go to the cafe in the adjacent building to pay.

The first time they asked how much we had got as we were not aware that not only was the pump DIY, but you needed to note the pump readings for payment.

No remote pump switching or consoles in the cafe, just a large food warmer full of deep fried items which our daughter described as “the bain marie of death”.

I think it was Rolleston but Google Maps does not show it and there is a new Choice servo there now.

1 Like

I was working in a ‘servo’ when the change to self serve came in. There wasn’t much pushback - we lost some, generally older, customers but gained others who just wanted fuel quickly. I’m a bit car-fussy so like to do all the top ups myself: no dirty fingerprints, spills, scratches etc. And very particular about tyre pressures. That said, from a safety perspective I’d be wary of an old bloke like me being careful enough. I’ve seen some terrible accidents and many more near disasters from non-pros handling risky substances.

3 Likes

Though Costco will assist if you honk the horn with filling your car. They have a handicap sticker with that instruction on it on the pumps.

But every service station around us in a 50 km radius do not have full service. I would imagine it goes further but within 50 km I do know for certainty there are none who provide full service. I have always taken full service to mean check the oil, check the radiator level, check the washer water level, clean the windscreen as at the least of the functions they undertake. I am sure they do exist but they are a very rare bird in these days of self service.

4 Likes

The old fashioned pumps with a glass top that shows the level still exist in Indonesia. Otherwise bottles - no arthritis problems there! I am very lucky that Hobart still has service stations, not just servos. The one in Sandy Bay has just had a revamp of the shop, so business is good.

4 Likes

Pretty sure I have seen the odd sign that says things like, “Full Driveways Service on Thursdays”. A great idea for those who need it.

6 Likes

My travels are in a predictable area around E, NE, and N Melbourne 98% of the time, and I cannot remember ever seeing such a sign. :frowning:

2 Likes

I live in Queensland but to be honest I can’t remember where I have see them. Certainly not my regular place.

4 Likes

It wasn’t next to the pub with the sign “Free Beer Tomorrow”?

Maybe it’s time for a questionnaire of Choice members - how many other people with arthritis or other issues, cannot manage the heavy, unwieldy hoses, the size of the handles or pressure required for a result? If one service station can operate profitably in a Hobart suburb with a self-serve only 3 blocks away, why not others? Are they all too greedy? This service station does have mechanical repairs as well - but the pumps are usually busy.

3 Likes

I’d suggest the others might also include those who utilise walking aids - wheel chairs being common. Some pumps stow the hose nozzles, controls and displays well above reaching height. Not to add to the complications of exiting and payment. Doubtless those most impacted have work arounds including friends who will assist with the weekly fill, or select bowsers with low level stowage.

4 Likes

There is also one in Snug south of Hobart. Looks like the Taswegians may be doing well on this score then.

2 Likes