Security doors and airflow

I am in the market for good quality security doors but have been advised that they block airflow which is the main reason I want them installed. I want to be able to have the doors opened during the day to create a breezeway through the house but stop people from easily getting in. I am wondering what everyones experience and recommendations are.
Edit. Can I ask if you could include if you have mesh or the ones with punched out holes in your comments please?

2 Likes

A security front door at my mother’s house which opens directly onto the street in Melbourne (up a few steps) definitely creates a breezeway through to the door to the courtyard, while providing security and a privacy screen.

3 Likes

There are many levels of security doors. We have security screen doors like this.

If someone really wanted to get through it I am sure they could and would, but it would take some effort. It does not block airflow in any discernible way, and no more than any screen door (having similar screen material specifications).

3 Likes

We just had one installed at the front door - it creates plenty of air flow once the back door is open.

4 Likes

The grilled designs with fine mesh allow plenty of air through. We’ve had several properties as first hand experience.

The versions with high tensile wire mesh use a heavier gauge mesh and do seem to slow the air a little, for observation at other family members homes.

There is also a version with a pressed metal sheet marketed as blocking outsiders looking in. The one and only of these we had did block the air flow noticeably and tended to rattle in a strong breeze. It ventilated best with a strong winter westerly, hardly the most desirable outcome.

If security is a concern, only purchase a screen door that has an Australian Standard AS5039-2008 approval. It will also need to be installed in a compliant door frame/manner per the manufacturers standards approval.

4 Likes

Screened or unscreened security door? Both are available (bars with or without screen mesh fitted), but some types are don’t have a choice (e.g. Crimsafe type mesh, where the acreen fabric/mesh acts as the security barrier as well).

A screen will reduce the flow of air through a door substantially, but not eliminate it. Reduction of airflow will be more noticeable on days where there is a light breeze, rather than a stronger wind. Stronger winds will push air through the screens, albeit at a reduced flow rate. The greater the density of the screen (smaller perforations or less hole area and more screen fabric area), the greater the impact on air flow. Greater density will also have a greater impact on the ability to see through the screen.

An unscreened security door will have little impact on air movement. The downside is while it provides security to keep criminals out, it won’t keep the bugs out.

4 Likes

I just have a standard security door (that is, not especially secure) on the front, and I had to install cat-proof screen to it because my cat at the time had completely shredded the standard screen… and the difference between closed screen and open screen is quite remarkable. That is, open the screen door and the cool air rushes in. There’s nearly nothing getting through, otherwise.

5 Likes

Thank you!

May I ask if the door is mesh or the one that has punched out holes?

May I ask if it is mesh or punched out holes please?

We have aluminium mesh security doors installed. There is a slight diminution of the breeze only.

As an anology, think of a mesh sieve. It slows down the flow of water, but doesn’t stop it. I would think that mesh screen doors would work in the same way with the wind.

5 Likes

Following the advice from the crime prevention police, my parents had a security door installed with the 4 way
bolt-locking system. The bolts would penetrate the wooden frame and the bricks on the top and sides and into the front step, making it very secure.
Had a simple classic design in the front, and a light mesh was used to keep the insects out, while still allowing plenty of breeze to flow in.

2 Likes

The geniuses who had our current home built for them did not have a security screen door on the carport internal entrance or the front door, but chose an extremely solid timber front door with a fancy wrought iron security frame mounted on the outside of the frosted glass panel.

The wrought iron frame was installed with phillips head screws so that anyone with a screwdriver could have simply removed it prior to our having the heavy duty security screen door installed on the outside of it.

The best laid plans of mice and men?

3 Likes