Secrecy, privacy, security, intrusion

That’s the one.

1 Like

This is concerning and there isn’t much information on the breach…except…

published online by a third party

Is the third party the company managing the data…or hacked data mirrored elsewhere. It appears that the data on the third party website is live as …

still updating each time paramedics are dispatched.

One would expect the IT boffins to plug the leak using a firewall of some sort as a temporary measure or to prevent external access to the data source and locking down access.

I wonder if the data is being read in transit (between the database and potentially mobile devices emergency services use) rather than access to the data base. If this was the case, why isn’t the data encrypted in transit?

3 Likes

A couple of articles regarding cyber attacks in Australia.

This.

You don’t need multiple towers or triangulation or trilateration. You just need one tower that the phone associates with, and that one tower asks the phone where it is and the phone reports its GPS location to the tower (using GPS in its generic sense i.e. GNSS).

Reports of the use of a stingray suggest that - cell tower association was used to locate to within the catchment area of one tower, refined by sector and other RF techniques, and then a Stingray (fake cell tower) was used to interrogate the phone. *

I don’t know that Ms Maxwell was ‘hiding’ as such but clearly anyone who wants to ‘hide’ should drive to a remote location and leave the mobile phone there forever, before going to the ‘hiding’ place. Anyone who can afford to propose $37 million bail isn’t going to miss one mobile phone.

Mobile phones are tracking devices that just happen to be able to make phone calls.

* I have often wondered whether mobile phones can and should provide an alert, requiring confirmation, when a mobile phone tower just pops into existence out of nowhere. That would be no good if you are on the road but if you are at home, whether ‘hiding’ or not, new phone towers don’t come along very often. This has applications beyond dodgy Stingrays e.g. illegal repeaters or even legal repeaters.

I think concern about Chinese phones goes way beyond being able to track them even when they are “off”. That would seem to be the tip of the iceberg of possibilities.

2 Likes

PS I don’t know that you can actually turn the GPS receiver off - as long as the phone has power. Certainly with an Android phone / iPhone you have no way of knowing whether the GPS receiver is on or off.

1 Like

I would if I used my blocksplitter.

1 Like

GPS is turned off on my Android phones. It is just a setting. No point in chewing up battery for no reason, unless I need GPS on. Same with WiFi and Bluetooth and Data.

4 Likes

More likely the receiver is asleep or inactive. Also saving all that power needed to process the incoming data stream.

The switch is just a software driven function. How many different ways to send the appropriate bit/s to a fixed address in the phone, no one knows for sure. Supposedly secret Android or Apple code developers business.

P.S.
The power of what one can do remotely using the ‘Find MY Phone’ features suggests there are few limits.

Nah. I think you missed the point. Unless you are solid in circuit design, what does ‘off’ mean? See the link that was posted above: https://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/

It’s the same with, for example, Bluetooth. I use Bluetooth specifically as an example because, on an iPhone, Bluetooth has three settings: on, off, really off. (OK, there might be a fourth setting that can only be achieved with @Fred123’s blocksplitter.)

3 Likes

Another doozey courtesy of the Qld Police.

1 Like

Another massive data breach.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/massive-data-leak-exposes-information-scraped-from-more-than-214-million-social-media-accounts/bb9d40fa-c996-4613-9b5a-a8bec18427dc

1 Like

One small comment in a much bigger story … it isn’t a good idea to put your real birth date on social media.

4 Likes

Ok @person. Yes, I did miss the point. Is “off” really off when it is done in software, or indeed if there is power present.

1 Like

Google has taken my birthday and applied US date format to it. I’m fine with that :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

If all else fails:

4 Likes

Whilst waiting to be served at our local LPO a few days ago, I watched a person who I had not seen there before photocopying 2 x passports for a customer.

He checked each copy before stacking it on top of the others, but in the case of any that had not copied properly, he simply scrunched up and tossed in the bin.

I sincerely hope that they either shred the bin contents at closing time or sent them to a secure document destruction facility, or there would be a virtual treasure trove for identify theft.

2 Likes

Anything like photocopies or other paperwork no longer required, treated as “behind the counter” is sent for secure destruction. Even often times the front rubbish bins obtain the same treatment, but the risk is one in that case for the user to take into account that it may not be handled securely.

3 Likes

I certainly hope so as an Auspost rubbish bin would be an Aladdin’s Cave for identify thieves.

1 Like

It’s a requirement of operation, part of their code of practice.

1 Like

I just had a go at updating my password on one of the big 4 bank sites. Gobsmacked does not do justice…

Yes, 6 characters, not 5 or 7 and the rest? For their high security protocols you cannot reuse the previous 3 passwords. Words escape.

5 Likes