Scooter advice for a first timer!

thats what the previous have meant :wink:

3 Likes

Get a bike/scooter with ABS brakes. If getting a scooter get the one with the largest diameter wheels. Make sure you insure all your riding gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants & boots) as well. Consider an flip-up/modular full face helmet, best of both open-face and full-face types in one (most motorcycle police use them). Learn how to lane filter safely (to get ahead of people unintentionally trying to kill you).

Happy riding! :grinning:

2 Likes

ATGATT - all the gear all the time - something many donā€™t consider is that the bare minimum is boots, kevlar pants, textile jacket, gloves, helmet ā€¦ the bare minimum. This will afford some protection but likely minimal padding - some kevlar pants can take inserts for extra padding/protection and not all kevlar is created equal - woven, knitted, etc and also not for wet weather without rain pants over the top. Jackets and gloves come in various levels of protection and rain resistance. My setup for daily commute would be around $2000 for protective gear and that is fairly basic but Iā€™m a bit fussy on helmets and need a flipper for where I ride - a good Shoei or Arai will cost around $1000 but a normal full face can be had for less. Youā€™ll likely have wet gear and dry gear, but you can just use thin rain proofing clothes over the top - like spray jackets - surprising how much you can sweat in cold weather sealed in rain proof gear.

With protective gear there are a couple of considerations - what state will you arrive at your destination, wet from sweat, wet from rain (even ā€˜goodā€™ rain proof gear is not perfect, and if the rain wasnā€™t forecast then you get drowned). What change facilities are available. Is there somewhere to store riding gear, even dry it out. Is is practical to take ā€˜work clothesā€™ every day or a set for the week ā€¦

Donā€™t even consider not wearing the gear - even a low speed accident of 20-30 km/h will take more skin off than you can imagine and scrubbing the dirt and asphalt out of the wounds is not fun - Iā€™ve been present when it has been done and donā€™t wish to witness it again let alone experience it myself.

Lots of good advice above re bike - larger wheels than a skateboard, ABS and make sure it can do the speed limit ā€¦ Iā€™d reckon the suggestion to get an e-bike is far superior to a 49cc death trap - probably 125 cc and up is ok for speeds to 80 km/h. I ride a 125 cc occasionally and can just get it to 80 in top gear, but itā€™s a bit tired and not as much fun as my bigger bikes.

Training. Do every course you can, even advanced courses - you donā€™t need to ride a super-bike to benefit from good training ā€¦

4 Likes