Scamwatch Advisories

Reviving this topic because - well - now I don’t feel like such a gullible old fogey.

1 Like

Latest advice from Scamwatch 20.03.2020.

Warning on COVID-19 scams
Dear XXXX,

Australians should be aware scammers are adapting existing technology to play on people’s fears around coronavirus and selling products claiming to prevent or cure the virus.

Since 1 January 2020, the ACCC’s Scamwatch has received 94 reports of scams about coronavirus, but warns figures are starting to climb.

Scamwatch has received multiple reports of phishing scams sent via email or text message that claim to be providing official information on coronavirus but are attempts to try and obtain personal data.

“Unfortunately, scammers are using the uncertainty around COVID-19, or coronavirus, to take advantage of people,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

Other scams include people receiving misinformation about cures for coronavirus and investment scams claiming coronavirus has created opportunities to make money.

“We’ve had a wide variety of scams reported to us, including fake online stores selling products claiming to be a vaccine or cure for coronavirus, and stores selling products such as face masks and not providing the goods.”

“There is no known vaccine or cure for coronavirus and a vaccine isn’t expected to be available for 18 months. Do not buy any products that claim to prevent or cure you of COVID-19. They simply don’t exist.”

“Scammers are impersonating official organisations such as the World Health Organization and the Department of Health or legitimate businesses such as travel agents and telecommunications companies,” Ms Rickard said.

“Understandably, people want information on the pandemic, but they should be wary of emails or text messages claiming to be from experts. For the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus, visit the Department of Health and the World Health Organization websites directly.”

If you think you have been scammed, contact your bank or financial institution immediately.

More information on coronavirus scams is available on the Scamwatch website, including how to make a report and where to get help.

![\ 30x24](file:///C:/Users/peter/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png) @scamwatch_gov

Follow us on Twitter

![\ 24x24](file:///C:/Users/peter/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png) Report a scam

Report a scam on our website
You have received this email because you have subscribed to receive Scamwatch radar alerts issued by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. You can view more news & alerts on the Scamwatch website.

If you have any doubts about an email’s source, verify the sender by independent means - use their official contact details to check the email is legitimate before clicking on links or opening attachments.

Copyright © 2020 ACCC, All rights reserved.

Update subscription preferences Unsubscribe from this list scamwatch.gov.au accc.gov.au

Another coronavirus scam warning from Scamwatch.

Bonafide businesses are having trouble maintaining customer service because call centres overseas are being shut down due to the pandemic. Can we expect the same of the scam generating boiler rooms in Mumbai or Manilla? Will Nicole get a sore throat?

1 Like

Will Nicole get coronavirus?

Ask her for her permission so that you can remote login to her PC and remove said virus. She should feel so much better for your offer. :rofl:

For an extra small fee, if she can provide and authorise her bosses CC details offer to install a program to protect her from any future version of the Corona Virus. :wink:

1 Like

Inevitable COVID-19 scams:

1 Like

COVID-19 scams continue:

1 Like

Is this a scam?

Got a text yesterday claiming to be from a research centre inviting me to take part in a Covid-19 study, saying they would be calling soon.

An Internet search of the phone number shows that others have been contacted too and have doubts about it.
I have blocked it on my phone and I won’t pickup any unfamiliar numbers anyway.

The web site ‘srcentre.com.au’ is real,
but how could I know if a call came from them or from an impersonator.

The srcentre number is an 1800 one but the text came from +61436427982

I was wondering if anyone has had any
experience with this?

2 Likes

Looks like it is a genuine one.

SR Centre is a part of the Australian National University and have a website outlining their contact nos. They also collaborate with other universities as well.

The text no. you provided is one of theirs.

They also have a COVID project at the moment as well…

https://www.srcentre.com.au/our-research/covid-19-work-and-health-study

One can also contact them should one not wish to be part of any future survey. See details at the bottom of the first link.

3 Likes

Often I google unknown numbers which have called my landline or mobile without leaving a message, and there’s been quite a few of those lately.

This morning I got a text message from tieneke592 @icloud.com
promoting a free reverse phone look-up.

Given that I never leave my details in any of the look-up sites, is it a coincidence that they got my mobile number?

I have reported it as junk.

2 Likes

Warning from Scamwatch regarding Harvey Norman Prize Scam emails.

Just the mention of Harvey Norman would be enough to make me extremely suspicious.

An article about the scam which has just appeared on nine.com.au.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/harvey-norman-hackers-pretend-to-be-legitimate-business-phishing-scam/c12984e2-7b34-4408-993c-ab072058209a

I wonder if they follow the Choice Community website.

It seemed better ‘over there’,