SBS Movie Channel Announcement

SBS are launching a 24hour movie channel on the 1st July.

8 Likes

OOOHHHH, nice!! I love SBS on Demand, and I bet a 24 hour movie channel will have just as high quality. I wonder if they will shift the movies over to that…

5 Likes

I can’t stand their insensitive advertising. Often incredibly badly timed (moment of deep grief, switch to upbeat ad repeated for the fifth time, arrhhhg!). I can’t understand why they have to interrupt a great movie for ads for very different movies they are showing, some with considerable violence when the program being watched is G rated and not violent.

2 Likes

had a look at what was on offer now and found one movie I would have liked to watch BUT already have it on DVD.

3 Likes

Where are they getting all the 24hr long movies from?? :astonished:

Boom Boom!

2 Likes

No idea! Do hope they will have a good selection. They are promising foreign films.

1 Like

Makes sense now why Foxtel ended World Movies last year…SBS wanted to take it on there own…They will have the movies no doubt about that as Foxtel and SBS worked together on World Movies

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Apps/Function Problems with TV’s

This is the sbs website on the World Movie and Viceland channel changes…

The broadcast of the world movies channel 32 starts on 1 July 2019…the broadcast of Viceland on channel 32 has ceased in preparation for the new movie channel.

3 Likes

We have been watching a number of the world movies for a while now. A lot of excellent content and not a rubbish reality shown to be seen, although I have not sought any out :wink:

3 Likes

Watched my first SBS World movie on Chanel 32 last night.
My TV is a 5 year old FHD LED LEC, no problems with reception.
The film LION was showing, I avoided seeing it with my Indian friend a few years ago, as I thought it would be a bit sad because
it’s about a child getting lost in India.

Looking forward to world movies being shown as there is very little of interest on TV at night.
Sick of replays of sitcoms.

4 Likes

Oddly, my old TV now seems toi be coping with all the channels it could not, before, including the new World Movies… however my Fetch is unable to display any information and wont let me watch it, it only has managed to get its name right (finally). Time will heal, I expect.

2 Likes

It’s now a year since channel 32 started
and for me it’s been helpful during this lockdown time to have many good movies to watch.
There’s been excellent ones from France and Russia ( I think the violence in Russian war movies is a lot more graphic than usual) as well as India and the USA.

My only gripe is that the same movie is shown again within a short distance of time…there is a limit on how many times I can enjoy watching ‘ My life as a Zucchini ‘…:wink:

4 Likes

We especially enjoy the non-US origin movies that do not involve unimaginably deranged bad people, plots against the president, convoluted (not just difficult to guess about) murders, international political intrigues where the US is always right, or nuclear plots, yet provide sometimes riveting and often entertaining plots around real types of people having real lives.

3 Likes

Just recently I’ve enjoyed watching ‘The sweet smell of success’ from the US 1957 which I don’t remember having seen before. Burt Lancaster and a very young Tony Curtis. A bit dated but Lancaster is a brilliant actor IMO.

2 Likes

Agree many of the old US origin films were indeed very good, but how they have changed as a genre! … although still some good ones from time to time.

3 Likes

There has been some excellent foreign (non-English speaking) as English speaking ones. The other great thing is if one misses the movie or is tired and can’t watch it to the end, most are also available on SBS on Demand. This means that one doesn’t miss out on full enjoyment. There are also a range of classic moves available for streaming as well.

SBS on Demand also has some excellent TV series which are not on the main stream channels. We watched recently The Tunnel (a adult’s crime series French-English produced series in English) and Team Chocolate (Dutch) which are worth a guernsey.

5 Likes

There have been some excellent Spanish and Korean movies on SBS over the years with English subtitles.

4 Likes

I almost never watch anything but ABC when watching FTA, I prefer to do SBS via streaming, and there are so many streaming options now, its just crazy, we are so spoilt for choice. Kanopy is another service, you get it via your library.

2 Likes