Saxenda injectable weight-loss drug

Using a weight-loss drug like Saxenda comes at a high cost, both price and in side effects. We offer some guidance on this and other similar medicines:

4 Likes

Would not touch it with a ten foot bargepole, even if it were cheap… I’ve been on other GLP-1 drugs for diabetes and eventually they made me so nauseated I could not continue (now on insulin by request). I’ll remain fat, I think, and make do with +/- 10Kg every so often.

3 Likes

There is also Exenatide (Bydureon™ (once a week injection) and Byetta™ (twice a day injection)… Exenatide can also reduce hunger as it slows the release of food from the stomach so a person will feel fuller for longer and thus reduce calorific consumption. It is also a GLP-1 like peptide.

This drug also can have unpleasant and even potentially serious side effects but is also used as a weight loss tool.

https://www.nps.org.au/radar/articles/exenatide-byetta-for-type-2-diabetes-mellitus

4 Likes

I wanted Byetta to work… it did nothing for weight or diabetes because I was unable to continue it, once I got to the recommended dose. Asked about Bydureon but my endo said I would probably have the same response to it as I did to Byetta.

4 Likes

As you know it is exactly the same drug but as the injection of Bydureon is once a week the nausea is not so noticeable as with the bi-daily Byetta injections. Byetta also has timing restrictions ie 30 minutes before a meal or 2 hours after to avoid some of the complications, Bydureon does not suffer this. I can’t have either of them but my wife does use Bydureon and suffers much less than when she has used Byetta.

It is the side effects a user must keep a careful eye on, any symptoms should be reported to the treating Doctor as soon as possible, in particular lumps in the throat etc.

https://www.bydureon.com/pen.html

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been on insulin for 6 or 7 years now, and happy to continue.

2 Likes

I no longer need to have Insulin due to significant weight loss but was using 160 units of long acting (Lantus) per day and at least 160 units of fast acting 3 times a day. I was very insulin resistant, my Endocrinologist had me go on VLCD and this has saved me.

1 Like

For me, its 92 u/s Lantus and the RA is variable depending on what I eat. No carb, no jab. I try to stay under 50g carbs a day, but I’m not losing weight. I need to dump at least 60Kg. Not going to happen, alas.

2 Likes

My loss has been 53kg over 18 mths, still need a further 25kg loss which is happening at about 500g a week atm. Trying and mostly succeeding to stay in the keto range of carbs so around a max of 30g Carb a day. In the first 2 weeks of the optislim optifast diet I lost 10kg. I prefer Optislim as the price is far less than Optifast products and the Dietician says they are much of a muchness just a lack of fibre in Optislim and a tad more carbs but on the diet you eat enough greens to satisfy the fibre need… I have a mix of Bars, Soups and mixes to vary the taste and feel. I must admit I do like the Chocolate Custard Optifast dessert so I splurge extra on that one, The Lemon flavoured one for me is no temptation and can stay on the shelf. If you like Coffee then the Cappuccino flavour mixes are probably the best flavour and they can be tweaked to a more coffee taste by adding a teaspoon or so of instant coffee to add a more coffee hit, but I don’t imbibe coffee so it isn’t one I purchase…

The ALDI ultra low carb bread (85% reduced carbs) is good and so is the Atkins Breadmix (75% reduced carbs). Atkins also produce ultra low carb pasta, & Crispbreads (I like lettuce, grated carrot, cucumber, Tomato, Ham or Salmon, and a dash capers on mine).

If you feel like trying the diet/s and need any hints just PM me and if I can help with advice I will. I will let this topic go back to it’s subject matter now :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You can’t beat the traditional way of eating less,eating better foods,and exercise.Find out what works for you and stick to it,and you will be teaching yourself how to eat more sensibly as well

1 Like

I dunno if that’s fair Buzz to say you can’t beat it… And I’m saying this as someone who lost 25kg with the “eat less/move more” approach (calorie counting, portion control and exercise) and has successfully kept it off (maintained) for nearly two years.
It’s a really great way to lose weight and live healthier that is sustainable for the long term, but to lose a large amount of weight it takes a huge amount of willpower, motivation and self-discipline. It’s a big learning curve while you figure out how to weigh, measure and track everything you eat. Once you’ve been doing it a while it gets easier but it’s hard in the long run. Oh, and it is a SLOW way to lose weight which might not be enough for people who need to lose a lot of weight quickly to help with chronic health conditions.

It also has no cut-and-fast rules, which I think also makes it harder for a lot of people. If you go out with friends on a diet with restrictive rules, its probably easier to figure out what you should and shouldn’t eat, and probably easier to talk about that with your friends or even find acceptable options if it’s one of the trendier diets. You don’t have to be aware of what you’ve eaten for the day vs how much you’ve moved and make calculations to figure out what you will have. Unlike weight loss surgery, if you get it wrong your body isn’t going to send you warnings that you’re eating too much.

I’ve also seem it get hijacked in other people by things like hormones and medications for chronic health conditions (including anti-depressants and hormonal contraceptives). Any medication that lists “weight gain” as a common side affect is going to throw a huge spanner in the works for weight loss and might require a bit of extra help to counteract that.

If you’re motivated, highly disciplined, not suffering with serious chronic health issues, not taking a lot of medication, and physically able to get fit, you can’t beat “eat less/move more”.
Everyone else might need some help, maybe including weight loss drugs if they’re safe and affordable.

5 Likes

Thats what Buzz said…

1 Like