CHOICE membership

Samsung TV Issues

In the case of only having store supplied displayed images ask that the TV be taken out of demo mode, this will be a more realistic version of what will be seen in your home.

2 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what happen when I was trying to decided which TV to buy. Not one of the retailers would play any alternative content other then what was being displayed. Both JB and Harvey staff claimed it wasn’t there choice and every brand controls what is played in store.
I remember even speaking to a Samsung rep in a good guys store who gave me along winded excuse about how that the signal is reduced significantly when split across so many TV’s.
Since then I have notice many stores have now change their approach with almost all will now play and have alternative sources available.

Great suggestion Phil the best approach is to bring in your own mix of content via hard drive, could be downloaded or recorded free to air, classic movie or sporting event.

3 Likes

Thanks @PetzBuzz for your comment about DSE and prompted me to do some looking. I have a number of LCD/LED screens and have never really noticed this effect.
My big screen is an LG 75" 4K job and it seems to do a great job of upscaling standard and HD broadcast to 4K.
I wonder if Choice looks at display issues like banding and DSE when tests are done, or if it is just put down as a rating in display performance.
Perhaps @ScottOKeefe could comment.

1 Like

The retail displays is a TV setting that can be easily turned on and off, and on again. What they say falls into the BS category.

This may be the case if all TVs on display were connected at the same time showing free to air broadcasts - if they chose to do this it can be rectified with very cheap signal boosters/amplifiers like those used for large hotels, hospitals etc. Having multiple TV close together could cause localised interference, but highly unlikely as such may pose WPHS risks to retail staff. The excuse is also BS.

Every store I have been in (remarkably) shows free to air on one or two TVs when the cricket is on, football, Melbourne Cup etc…the staff appear to put it on for their enjoyment.

While the signal may not be perfect (at 100%) all the time, this isn’t an issue with digital as the signal is either on or off. A good digital TV will work until the signal and its quality is near 0%. When a digital TV loses signal, the TVs will be blank or when there is interference (signal quality poor), a broken or pixelated image may appear at times. It is unlike analogue signals where the image deteriorates the poorer the signal becomes.

Stores have the ability to connect TVs to aerials for free to air TV comparisons. Don’t believe what they tell you. If they chose not to show free to air on one of their display stock, go elsewhere where you can get better service.

The only time where it isn’t possible is if the store is outside a broadcast area or in an area of extremely high interference (for example, next door to high voltage substation or a radio broadcast mast). Such conditions are unlikely to occur in most circumstances.

3 Likes

…although those inside shopping malls do not always have the freedoms free standing or strip centre shops do. I could believe they might be able to arrange an FTA antenna but the mall owner may ask more $$ for that to happen than the stores are willing to pay for any theoretical trade advantage.

1 Like

We do look at/for both. A summary of the way that we test TVs can be read here: https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-and-technology/home-entertainment/tvs-and-projectors/articles/how-we-test-tvs

It is a summary, as the test methodology runs to many pages. We do not take television testing lightly.

If the viewing panel notices anything significantly undesirable during the test, such as colour banding, their comments are noted and added to the profiles of the relevant models. This is in addition to these comments being considered when allocating scores in each of the assessment areas.

Testing is comparative, in that each TV is compared with many others. We also use a Sony Professional 55" OLED studio monitor as a reference for both picture quality and colour accuracy.

We use a wide variety of recorded content when testing, that ranges from standard definition DVDs through to UHD Blu-ray and much in between. You can see the scoring for individual content types, but the suggestion to take your own content along when you visit a store is a good one. We know that many owners these days are watching little or no free-to-air television and using streaming services instead. So both of these types of content are important as well as the media you can purchase in physical form.

8 Likes

This assumes an externally mounted aerial. If one can’t there be mounted externally, there are good internal aerials that can be used. Internal aerials do not require approvals.

If a retailer does not allow a consumer to see FTA broadcast on their TVs, they could fall foul of the ACL…that being deceptive or misleading conduct.

If a consumer buys a TV and is not allowed to see FTA instore when requested, gets the TV home and the FTA quality is unsatisfactory, they would have grounds to return it to the store for a refund.

If a retailer does not allow FTA to be viewed, a consumer should say that if it isn’t satisfactory when turned on at home the home, they will return the TV for a refund. This will ensure FTA is shown by retail when making a purchase decision.

2 Likes

Thanks. I note that Choice do frequent evaluations of TVs as the technology moves on rapidly.
I have not seen any Samsung devices consigned to the fail, or not recommended list. They are usually scored very well.
And I would consider that the Choice testing methodology exceeds anything a potential buyer could do in a store before purchase.

4 Likes

In a mall building encased in steel and concrete they could put it anywhere and it would work the same. Pitifully or not at all.

3 Likes

Very surprising to hear that Samsung can still score well considering all the issues which have been reported across so many other forums and websites, might be worth review the methodologies being used as the most important is how the test TV is being sourced ?

If the test TV is provided from the manufacturer directly it obviously can be cheery picked to ensure the best performing screen v build is chosen same when the TV is placed in a retail display environment this does not accurately depicted real life so called “panel lottery” so how many TV’s would this be a true reflection when the overall quality v rate of sales as a percentage ?

No they buy them retail from stores. They do try to be incognito but this doesn’t always work.

4 Likes

Choice staff advised they also do repeat shops at a few stores where Choice is known over time, but Choice buys retail from them like anyone else would and gets regular stock.

Whenever a manufacturer loans products in special circumstances it is always made transparent, including when a cameo review is published.

5 Likes

Coincidentally, sports are quite a useful test for a TV’s refresh rate. Things are moving fast, and are not under the control of the person filming them or the TV on which they are playing.

Unfortunately this is not always the case. I heard something recently about video card manufacturers giving ‘the good stuff’ to reviewers - as casually mentioned in this article from 2020.

Here is a similar article about binning CPUs and the wide range of performance the end user can get - and I suggest that the manufacturer will most definitely be sending reviewers the best they can find.

5 Likes

@PhilT was making reference to CHOICE, not what others may or may not do :smiley:

3 Likes

I bought a di look into the problem55 inch TV 3 years ago and just recently it developed a dark cloud on a third of the screen which made it unwatchable. I contacted Samsung who did look into the problem but after sending photographs said due to it being out of warranty they could not help. I need to know now if it is worthwhile having it repaired. I have been told it could $600 or more to replace the screen.

4 Likes

That is not good. I am sure there is a relevant topic about Samsung TV support (and more commonly lack thereof) on the forum but a quick search did not reveal it.

‘Warranty’ is a Samsung policy. It does not over ride your rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

With diligent research you can ascertain if the price/market position of your specific model should have gone longer than 3 years and if you can collect some evidence that say 5 years would be reasonable, you can write a formal ‘Letter of Complaint’ to Samsung citing your rights under the ACL and ask it be repaired under the ACL. There are many links to the ACL and Letter of Complaint on the Community with resources from Choice and the ACCC as well as member advice on same.

Until you have done a Letter of Complaint you are engaging in idle chit chat not working toward a resolution.

It is rarely cost effect to repair a modern TV.

This Choice link should be helpful re the expected reasonable life of a TV to give you perspective and get you going.

Please keep your topic posted regarding how you proceed and how it goes.

7 Likes

It may be useful for other consumers for you to post a photo here. However I admit it can be a bit hit and miss getting a good photo of a TV screen (that is operating).

It would be my guess that a Samsung 55" cost you a non-trivial amount of money and that there is no way that 3 years is a reasonable lifespan for such a TV. I would be claiming that the particular unit that you have been sold is not of “acceptable quality”, not “fit for purpose”.

4 Likes

This to me nails it.
Start with that. Samsung may consider that a 3 year old TV of their manufacture should not fail like that. They may consider a remedy despite the warranty period expired. May meet you half way, and perhaps supply the replacement screen for free, and you pay the labour.
You won’t know until you formally lodge a complaint with the company and present your case.

4 Likes

Hi @Pat2,

have you approached the retailer that sold you the TV ? Did you buy the TV direct from Samsung ?

As already noted, any warranty offered by Samsung is separate to your rights under the ACL.

Unless you purchased from Samsung directly, you entered a contract with the retailer, not Samsung, and the retailer ought to be your first port of call. You may need to point out to them that you have rights under the ACL, and that a reasonable person would expect such a TV to last more than three years.

6 Likes

I was remiss in not including that above, so thanks for adding it @ScottOKeefe :slight_smile:

4 Likes