Rush Orders : Medical Scripts

Rang my G.P. for a scrip repeat to be faxed to my local chemist in Chirnside Park.
The next day I went grocery shopping and decided to see if my order was ready. The clerk said to go to the pay counter and she would get my order. Upon paying, I noticed that I was overcharged one dollar per medication and asked the clerk if the prices went up or was I overchaged and she replied " because it was a rush order".

3 Likes

Hi @bigmitch8

A Chemist is able to add a surcharge to a script dispensing and this is listed on the PBS site. In your case you may have been charged a part of the “Extemporaneously-prepared” fee which for Safety Net holders is set at a maximum $1.66 ($9.78 if not Safety Net) or it may have been another of the available and allowable surcharges eg the “Allowable Additional Patient Charge” which has a maximum of $4.39 at the moment. Strictly speaking it isn’t an overcharge but an allowed additional charge. I have linked to the PBS page so you will be able to see there are a number of charges a Chemist can further levy on you lawfully. Most don’t, you can always change Chemists if others are available around you and you can ask if they ever do similar. If the answer is yes at least you know, and if you can avoid using them.

https://www.pbs.gov.au/info/healthpro/explanatory-notes/front/fee

https://www.pbs.gov.au/info/healthpro/explanatory-notes

https://www.pbs.gov.au/info/healthpro/explanatory-notes/section1/Section_1_4_Explanatory_Notes

5 Likes

Some charge the full pbs fee, others charge a $1 less, they have a right to charge an extra $1

3 Likes

Another reason I wont change chemists… mine doesnt charge extra for faxed scripts and they deliver free.

1 Like

The latest is scripts sent to your mobile. They include a link to the secured digital script and the chemist can work with it. Not every chemist is yet equipped to accept them but it seems to be getting lots of traction fairly quickly.

4 Likes

Perhaps time to make them your ex local chemist?

1 Like

I suspect mine would, but the GP practice I had been attending only does faxes. I’m in the process of moving to another, and no clue what they do there.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be TW Chemart by any chance would it? My GP also sent a script renewal to them, and they dispensed it without checking if I actually need it filled at that time… I didn’t. They were going to charge me an additional $1 as it hadn’t been 21 days since the expired script had been filled. I always use the App to order and received a msg Script was ready, even though I hadn’t ordered it. I rang them and apparently they automatically dispense scripts that GP’s send them. We have reverted to driving down and picking them up.

2 Likes

I did not request “a rush order”. I could have waited a few days to pick up the script, but while grocery shopping, decided to check.
My G.P. faxed the script to the chemist to make it easier for me for pick-up.
I’ve been going to this chemist for over 20 years and will check with locals for better service. Much thanks.

1 Like

You hit the jackpot.Always a gimmick. When I went to check on the order, 2 people were at the pay counters. Talk about “rush orders”, besides, they have my script ,“on file”. Much thanks.

2 Likes

I understood that it wasn’t a rush order from your perspective but they are obviously taking faxes to mean urgent (their interpretation to suit them). My Chemist arranges all our scripts for re-orders and accepts any new ones by fax from our Dr without them ever being treated as urgent, unless it is noted that it is urgent.

It may be a means for management to improve their profits at your Chemist for a number of reasons including the possibility of it being sold and so making it more attractive to the potential purchasers. Luckily most of us a not lacking in choices for Chemists (I acknowledge that it is different for Rural, Remote and small towns) and so can easily change if practices at any are not what we like.

2 Likes

Did you check with your GP as he may have requested it as urgent

1 Like