Running shoes review

I would appreciate an article comparing barefoot running shoes too. I use a variety–Five Fingers, Vivobarefoot and Xero “thongs” for walking and sprinting (I don’t jog). And I have so many fewer problems now than I used to.

3 Likes

…It won’t let me pick any options. Is it locked against novices?

For myself, I wear running shoes every day for work and for home exercise. Longevity and arch support are most important for me. My understanding is that they can’t be waterproof and still breathable…?

3 Likes

Check if you have the results showing. It won’t let you select while they are. Close the results if they are showing and you should be able to select your choice of answer/s.

If they are lined with or made of certain materials they can be both breathable and waterproof eg Gore-tex ™

1 Like

Nah, the results weren’t showing. The little circles are there, they just won’t register a click. It’s probably an issue with my browser.

Thanks tho.

1 Like

The standard first response from any ‘support’ :smiley: is to clear your internet cache and cookies (browser dependent on how) to see if that fixes it, and sometimes it does.

I have to I use chrome, firefox, and opera to have full functionality on the web sites I frequent. Each one has different problems on different sites.

1 Like

Hi @Vonnible, we closed the poll for now as the running shoes test is currently going through the process as it gets ready for publication. Keep an eye out for more polls soon though.

2 Likes

This is now live, thanks to everyone that helped in developing the test method.

4 Likes

I was amazed at the number which only said/indicated that they only covered for faults on arrival but did not cover faults that developed. Is strictly in line with ACL requirements?

I would have liked the two grip tests to be separate results. If a shoe was really good on concrete but was a horror or near to that on wet steel, tiles, wood, lino/vinyl, polished stone (particularly if shoes are wet at all) it would be great to know. The times I have nearly ended up a… up on the ground due to this is getting to be Globally significant :grin:

The running running shoe appears like a mistake, I know it’s not but it does :slight_smile: Perhaps just Running Shoe for dedicated running ones with the addition of Trail if needed?

Great to see the results and thank you for taking the time, effort and money to produce them. Huzzah!

3 Likes

Hi @grahroll. I’ve added in wet tile and concrete scores. The running type is hard to adjust (based on coding), but it’s kind of redundant to have it in there anyway given most are running shoes and the filter is on the left anyhow, so its been removed. Thanks for the suggestions.

4 Likes

Thank you, the grip test makes a much more understandable section now and the wet tile part allows a more defined pick based on a user’s needs.

The site heading “running shoes” also should be well understood by visitors about what the shoes are for without the running running shoes :slight_smile: (I still see them running all on their own lol)

2 Likes

In the table - could you add Size Range eg 3 to 12.5 as I have enquired about some of the recommended shoes, to find they are not in my size and the “equivalent” in smaller ladies/girls sizes doesn’t look anything like its larger cousin. I accept that the colours may be more vibrant for teens and children, but it appeared there were other construction changes.

I would be interested in the thinner, more flexible sole as this is better for walking and running and encouraging better balance. Look forward to the next, test / review.

3 Likes

Thanks @zackarii, will be sure to pass on your suggestions.

2 Likes

Here’s our updated running shoes/joggers review (member content) for 2019 :athletic_shoe:

1 Like

Did the reviewers miss Salomon?

https://www.runningwarehouse.com.au/brandmen.html?ccode=RWSALOMON

I picked up a pair of trail runners on a half price sale, and found them both comfortable and very durable for everyday use. Three years later I’m hoping for another sale. The lacing system may appeal to some over the need to tie a bow.

It’s great to see the alternatives reviewed by Choice.

2 Likes

Could be one for next time @mark_m. Thanks for the review :+1:

1 Like

actually talking about footwear i purchased a pair of Adidas falcon that choice has tested and they fit well and seem to be very comfortable.they have a proper rubber sole unlike many shoes now that have non rubber sole.only downside is they are not leather like or waterproof so i would not want to wear if it was raining. either way i chose them because other shoes were a bit to expensive.but i have no reason to repurchase the same pair again. i would recommend for sure if you want something under $100.

1 Like

You can spray them with a silicone waterproofing spray, it will need respraying if it is worn a lot in wet weather but the shoes may have worn out by the time it needs to be reapplied. Just a thought if it will make them more usable to you.

As examples only of the products I have described:
https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=silicone+waterproofing+spray&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

1 Like

Most foot ware intended for walking, sport etc is designed to breath. I like to walk and when travelling one pair of shoes needs to do all. I’ve struggled to find suitable foot ware that is light, comfortable for walking, water resistant, and does not fill up with water from sweaty feet. At a reasonable cost?

Using a ‘water proof’ spray as per @grahroll seems to be the best compromise. Reality though is the sprays are not really water proof. They are more a protective layer for the shoes so that water does not damage the fabric, leather, stitching of the foot ware. Keeping water out, your mileage may vary. Rubber gumboots are one exception, although they also keep the moisture of sweaty feet in to perfection. :mask:

2 Likes

I used to buy my joggers from Running Warehouse in the US and have them consolidated with other items and shipped via MyUS.com until Running Warehouse commenced their Australian operation and started getting shonky.

The Australian website had a very limited range at much higher prices than the US website even after allowing for the GST on the Australian prices and the cost of shipping from the US.

Not only that, but Running Warehouse then prevented anyone using an Australian IP to order from their US website.

I gave up in disgust and now always buy my joggers from the local The Athletes Foot where the prices are good and the service is excellent.

I just looked at both the US and Australian websites for the model I buy and the price difference is not very great now after currency conversion and even less after Gerry Harvey’s grubby tactics, so after paying freight, it would be almost the same.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/New_Balance_Fresh_Foam_880_v10/descpage-NB881M5.html

https://www.runningwarehouse.com.au/New_Balance_Fresh_Foam_1080_v10/descpage-N108M04.html

The US site states “Important Shipping Note: U.S. sales only”.

1 Like

Gore-Tex™ lined tend to be better at “waterproofing” than the sprays but it is not available aftermarket, it must be incorporated as part of the manufacture of the shoe, garment etc.

It is stretched teflon so not very environmentally friendly but it does work.

https://www.gore-tex.com/

4 Likes