CHOICE membership

Rock Ya Pain

Our local shopping centre had their monthly markets for casual stallholders today and I saw one stall displaying “Rock Ya World” and “Rock Ya Pain” together with this fantastic claim “Quite Possibly the Worlds Best 100% Natural Pain Relief”.

My snake oil detector immediately went off and I have searched the above tonight with the following results.

The “products” do not appear to be TGA approved.

They seem to be just something to boost magnesium intake.

No reviews can be found on any of the usual reputable websites.

The “products” seem to be only available at markets, primarily Eumundi. and online.

No information seems to be available on the ingredients.

Does anyone else smell snake oil?

7 Likes

Come on @Fred123. Be a Choice tester and let us know how it goes. :wink:

4 Likes

The cream contains oil of wintergreen and clove oil. These contain respectively salicylates and eugenols which are good topical pain relief compounds.
There are a lot of these types of products around, eg Deep Heat, that are an order of magnitude cheaper.
Note: the TGA does NOT “approve” listed products.

4 Likes

Yes. And Deep Heat clearly states where it is made, how it works, what the ingredients are, cautions, and directions for use.

And no dubious claims such as “Quite Possibly the Worlds Best 100% Natural Pain Relief”.

Deep Heat and other products of Mentholatum Australasia Pty Ltd are TGA approved.

https://tga-search.clients.funnelback.com/s/search.html?query=deep%20heat&collection=tga-artg

The Zen sprays which I have been using for the past year and are the most effective topical pain relief products I have used are also TGA approved.

https://tga-search.clients.funnelback.com/s/search.html?query=zen&collection=tga-artg

Sorry. I am allergic to snake oil so I will have to leave that for you to do.

2 Likes

Oh yes I agree that the 100% claim is BS.
TGA accepts and regulates. The word approval implies it makes a judgement on a products efficacy. It does not.

It has rules, very weak ones for listed products, that if met allow the product to be listed. This is not approval.

8 Likes

I must admit I brought this product rock ya pain for a very sore knee and it actually did help my pain a lot, I would buy this product again

2 Likes

Good to hear it helped you.

I am not saying that the products do not relieve pain as I do not know.

What I am saying is that this business presents itself as being very shonky starting with their very unprofessional business names throught to their claims that they have scientists on their team.

2 Likes

While I agree that the TGA is not the most effective or efficient of bodies, it does indeed have a process to assess and approve, or not approve. Have a look at the TGA’s Assessed listed medicines evidence guidelines for further information.

1 Like

There is a process but a higher level page puts it more straightforward, R vs L processes.

For those who don;t like to click through, the difference between L, L(A), and R…

Note also the word ‘assessed’ rather than ‘approved’.

2 Likes

Again, they do not approve. Just accept for listing. Go to the page and search for “approve”. Not found.
My earlier replies stand.
As a corollary. do not expect a listed product to work.

Could you please let me know which page you are looking at where you can’t find the word “approve”?

Doing a search of the page that I linked to above in post number 8:
The word “approve” appears once (1),
The word “approved” appears seven (5) times,
The word “approval” appears four (4) times.
In addition at the bottom of the page there is a link for Health Professionals to “Accessing unapproved products”

So in total the word “approve” and variations on the word appears eleven (11) times on the page.

2 Likes

No, if not approved for supply they are not listed and cannot be supplied.

From the TGA Basics page

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) is part of the Australian Government Department of Health(link is external), and is responsible for regulating therapeutic goods including prescription medicines, vaccines, sunscreens, vitamins and minerals, medical devices, blood and blood products.

Almost any product for which therapeutic claims are made must be entered in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) before it can be supplied in Australia.

The fact that the word “approve” is not used is irrelevant. If you want to sell drugs in Oz the TGA says if you can or not. If they do not approve and the substance fits within their scope you are legally forbidden to sell it and can be prosecuted if you do.

Under the heading “What is the TGA” we have:

When a company wants to sell a prescription-only medicine like thalidomide in Australia, we check the evidence first, and will only approve the medicine if the balance of benefit and risk is acceptable for a particular condition. Then once the medicine is approved for supply, we continue to monitor it to make sure it meets our required standards. In this way, we protect the health of the Australian public.

So they can use the word “approve” when it suits them.

Since your major premise is false so is your corollary.

2 Likes

Ref the page I linked and the extracted tables I think there is some cross talk re L, L(A), and R listings, that are different from each other, and exactly what gets approved or assessed, and not.

2 Likes