Ring Cameras - Don’t work with AUS Broadband Speeds

Older fellas like me who pre-date DOS. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be usable here with NBN, since NBN satellite barely gets 1Mbps upload sometimes, and there is the issue of the ~650ms ping time to add to every item you are trying to upload.

3 Likes

A sad bit is the problems with satellite service are not unknown or new. I first encountered them in the 1980’s in the USA where globally remote users were trying to use US sited supercomputers via satellite. Even the comparatively rudimentary graphics of those days was near impossible because of the inconsistencies and ping times. They reverted to batch work with the output files transferred (slowly!) for their local post processing. Interactive? No way!

But take a pollie with a partisan agenda and no clue accompanied by a stone head and satellite seems a perfect answer to delivering on a 3-word slogan type policy. And here you and your remote mates are…

4 Likes

Had the same with an ISP - had the gall to ask me where I saw something written, because ‘it isn’t there now’'. TIO were most impressed with their claims and with my copies of their original terms and conditions :slight_smile:

criminals know that as well of course, and can ‘create’ ‘outages’ :wink:

I’ve run across a few - ispy looks like it is still around - can’t vouch for any of them as such. I use Ubiquiti cameras and their free recording solution on Linux …

I agree with whats been said above - seems like it should be fairly easy to establish these units are not suitable for the average connection …

6 Likes

I agree with you. Unless there was a notice on the outside of the box specifying minimum upload speeds, you should return the product to the retailer for a refund.

This is similar to an issue that arose in the mid-90s with computer games. Players were buying games, taking them home and finding that their PC was not powerful enough. They would return to the store, and be told that since they had opened the box they couldn’t get a refund - they may have just copied the game to another CD. End result? Computer games sold in Australia have on the outside of the packaging both the ‘minimum’ spec and a ‘recommended’ spec.

What you have bought is not ‘fit for purpose’, and if that was unclear from the packaging then you are entitled to a refund. The fact is that it was sold as a consumer device, and as an effective ‘plug and play’ security solution. (Yes, I know that Universal Plug and Play is horridly insecure.)

Seriously, ‘Windoze’? Please don’t let this descend into one of those ‘Crapple’ vs. ‘Windoze’ vs. whatever flavour of Linux or BSD people happen to be in love with today.

5 Likes

Heh sorry was tongue in cheek.

3 Likes

Ring cameras not working on NBN could be a security feature.

2 Likes