CHOICE membership

Rideshare service reviews

We’ve reviewed ride share services like Uber and Taxify. Find out how they stack up:

4 Likes

As (have heard and read elsewhere) many of these companies have a high driver churn rate., it would also be interesting for Choice to review these same companies from a driver’s perspective, as these drivers are the ones ‘consumed’ by the companies.

3 Likes

Are you familiar with the glassdoor recruiting site? You have to register to see the reviews and tolerate the rest of it, but it includes a collection of employee reviews of their employers. Not having the inclination to sign up, it might or might not include uber drivers but includes uber staff as evidenced by the teasers.

4 Likes

A few days ago I used SHEBA in Melbourne for the first time. It took a while to book a lift to the airport for the next morning, but it was 11pm, and I don’t think Sheba has as many drivers as Uber yet. I’m glad I waited on line, as the ride arrived on time, and was fine. Cost $85 to get to the airport from Prahran at 630am, a busy time for that destination. I would definitely use them again when travelling alone (I’m female obviously!)

3 Likes

I never have and don’t plan to use Uber & have not used any rideshare service in Australia. Rarely use taxis.

Somehow seems an immoral business model to raise enough capital to spend those dollars to crush any competition & squeeze the ‘staff’ salaries.

2 Likes

Didi is an obvious omission from the comparison list. Apparently Didi commenced a year ago and operates at least in Melbourne, Geelong & Newcastle. From their website, other countries are China, Japan, Brazil & Mexico. Didi think’s it is an US$80billion competitor to Uber, but doesn’t have the same cash in the bank Uber does. Uber has a 6% holding in Didi.
In a recent trip to China, hosts took me dozens of times in Didi cars. Generally the cars were superior to taxi quality. Very city dependent I gather. Through translator, I tried to ask questions comparing to Uber. Mixed results.

1 Like

We surveyed over 3000 people about taxis and rideshare services like Uber. Find out which ones people prefer:

1 Like

There have been some reports that the Uber model may not be working for Uber. They have acknowledged and reported by those in the know that their model was to dominate, exclude competitors through pricing (and their own driver rebates) and then increase prices to make a profit. None of these have eventuated.

They are using their cash reserves quickly and have indicated to the financial markets that they won’t be generating any profit in the foreseeable future.

They also think diversification is the solution to their woes. Diversification could also magnify the problem.

Like may gig economy companies, they may be over rated/heated and if there is a crunch, such companies may not be around in the long term.

3 Likes

An interesting survey with a useful assessment of the so called ‘ride sharing’ providers.

Our experience with Uber suggests they are just another taxi. Only the vehicles are not necessarily equipped in the same way or overtly obvious.

Not being able to pay with cash, some uncertainty when booking for airport runs, and immediate access to taxis at some ranks does work against ride share as the everyday choice.

Interestingly we have noted a number of drivers work both sides of the street. Casual or select shifts as a cab driver, while running their own Uber in the off hours. When do they sleep?

And does the system (regulation and enforcement) have the capacity at present to ensure that any driver, taxi or Uber etc is not working more than one long job?

3 Likes

An article regarding a serious flaw being exploited by rogue Uber drivers.

3 Likes