Rideshare service reviews

We’ve reviewed ride share services like Uber and Taxify. Find out how they stack up:

4 Likes

As (have heard and read elsewhere) many of these companies have a high driver churn rate., it would also be interesting for Choice to review these same companies from a driver’s perspective, as these drivers are the ones ‘consumed’ by the companies.

3 Likes

Are you familiar with the glassdoor recruiting site? You have to register to see the reviews and tolerate the rest of it, but it includes a collection of employee reviews of their employers. Not having the inclination to sign up, it might or might not include uber drivers but includes uber staff as evidenced by the teasers.

4 Likes

A few days ago I used SHEBA in Melbourne for the first time. It took a while to book a lift to the airport for the next morning, but it was 11pm, and I don’t think Sheba has as many drivers as Uber yet. I’m glad I waited on line, as the ride arrived on time, and was fine. Cost $85 to get to the airport from Prahran at 630am, a busy time for that destination. I would definitely use them again when travelling alone (I’m female obviously!)

3 Likes

I never have and don’t plan to use Uber & have not used any rideshare service in Australia. Rarely use taxis.

Somehow seems an immoral business model to raise enough capital to spend those dollars to crush any competition & squeeze the ‘staff’ salaries.

2 Likes

Didi is an obvious omission from the comparison list. Apparently Didi commenced a year ago and operates at least in Melbourne, Geelong & Newcastle. From their website, other countries are China, Japan, Brazil & Mexico. Didi think’s it is an US$80billion competitor to Uber, but doesn’t have the same cash in the bank Uber does. Uber has a 6% holding in Didi.
In a recent trip to China, hosts took me dozens of times in Didi cars. Generally the cars were superior to taxi quality. Very city dependent I gather. Through translator, I tried to ask questions comparing to Uber. Mixed results.

1 Like

We surveyed over 3000 people about taxis and rideshare services like Uber. Find out which ones people prefer:

1 Like

There have been some reports that the Uber model may not be working for Uber. They have acknowledged and reported by those in the know that their model was to dominate, exclude competitors through pricing (and their own driver rebates) and then increase prices to make a profit. None of these have eventuated.

They are using their cash reserves quickly and have indicated to the financial markets that they won’t be generating any profit in the foreseeable future.

They also think diversification is the solution to their woes. Diversification could also magnify the problem.

Like may gig economy companies, they may be over rated/heated and if there is a crunch, such companies may not be around in the long term.

3 Likes

An interesting survey with a useful assessment of the so called ‘ride sharing’ providers.

Our experience with Uber suggests they are just another taxi. Only the vehicles are not necessarily equipped in the same way or overtly obvious.

Not being able to pay with cash, some uncertainty when booking for airport runs, and immediate access to taxis at some ranks does work against ride share as the everyday choice.

Interestingly we have noted a number of drivers work both sides of the street. Casual or select shifts as a cab driver, while running their own Uber in the off hours. When do they sleep?

And does the system (regulation and enforcement) have the capacity at present to ensure that any driver, taxi or Uber etc is not working more than one long job?

3 Likes

An article regarding a serious flaw being exploited by rogue Uber drivers.

4 Likes

Looking for some advice on suggesting a rideshare and/or taxi service to my grandmother who is a pensioner. She normally uses Swan Taxis but there service has been slow several times now.

What we need is something that:

• Is easy for her to use
  • Is safe as she has reduced mobility
  • More willing to help with her shopping in and out of the car (to give the taxis credit, some even take it into her house for her)
  • Has low waiting times
  • Price is less of an issue because she only travels ~2km, usually at mid morning. But obviously any savings would be nice
  • Can be taxi or rideshare available in Perth
2 Likes

Has she tried pre-booking a taxi for a particular time rather than ringing and waiting for the next available taxi?

3 Likes

The problem is she takes them home after doing the shopping. And it’s hard to know in advance exactly when that will be

4 Likes

The first step if it hasn’t been done already is get an “My Aged Care” apprasial and assistance package as this will subsidie any support she may need.

Maybe one of the following services may be useful to her after that registration:

Also BlueCare and a number of other organisations offer a Shopper Service where the person has a companion who takes them shopping and other Social occasions I think can be organised for.

https://www.bluecare.org.au/home-care

https://www.mercycare.com.au/home-care/our-services

https://www.anglicarewa.org.au/

Or see the table on the linked page and look under the Cluster 2 section of the listing for those that have ticks in them, it is a very long list.

http://www.disability.wa.gov.au/individuals-families-and-carers/for-individuals-families-and-carers/directory-of-service-providers-/types-of-services/therapy-services---adult/

4 Likes

Depending on how she orders taxi’s that could be a reason for the drivers’ lack of enthusiasm and thus slow service. Most would not happily collect a fare to go 2km as it is only the flag fall and some change; if other longer fares are on offer to them they would be taking those first. Some services do not show the driver where the fare is going until they take the fare or pick up the passenger while others give the driver pickup and destination information. The latter would be the ones inclined to avoid short fares.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I warned her. I know rideshares can be notorious for that. Anyone have suggestions?

We did suggest that, but like many people at that age she’s reluctant to feel like she’s giving up independence.

3 Likes

Just musing, maybe a mobility scooter?

2 Likes

Completely understandable, I think if you put the shopping assistance offer in a way that “sells” it as a personalised kitchen to shop to kitchen taxi service that might appeal more than someone who is going to do your shopping for you. The level of independence she will have is up to her while shopping, eg if she wants to select and pick up each item, stack them on the checkout, unpack when she is home then the assistant will support that choice.

Often these services try to provide the same assistant for each shopping day so that the client and the assistant become familiar with each other and friendship often develops as well. My Father in Law was stubborn but once he started using the services the Assistant became a very important friend to him, providing a social contact as well as the support while shopping. She visited him when he was hospitalised & was there when he died in the Hospital.

We got him to accept the service in the first place by offering it as a transport means rather than as you’re getting frail type service.

3 Likes

Think I’d get a clip round the ear if I suggested that :rofl:

3 Likes

That reminds me of a hilarious skit on The Chaser years ago when one of them hopped in a taxi at the Arrivals rank at Sydney Airport and then asked to be dropped off at the Departures section about a 100 metres or so away.

Old mate, the taxi driver, was not a very happy camper,but the audience thought it was hilarious.

3 Likes