"Revolutionary" New Egg Carton?

/facetious meter on

Our local Supa IGA is now stocking a new brand of eggs packed in revolutionary new egg cartons.

-You don’t have to open the cartons to see the contents.

-Cracked eggs will not make the cartons go soggy.

-Condensation will not make the carton go soggy.

• The cartons will never degrade

And the eggs are produced right here in FNQ.

Why does the rest of Australia leave it all to the Deep North to pioneer everything?

Apparently they used to use conventional cartons before switching to this revolutionary packaging.

“Just delivered the last lot of cardboard cartons to Babinda Spar. Check out the inside of our Recycled Plastic Cartons. Much better for our environment. #ecofriendly #babinda #pastureraisedeggs #smallfamilyfarming #lowfoodmiles #supportyourlocal @ Deeral, Queensland, Australia”

/facetious meter off

3 Likes

hmm, more plastic, I can’t see how that is “revolutionary”! I can’t see how it is better for the environment in any way, as not all of it will be recycled, I expect a fair bit will end up as microplastics, killing marine life on the GBR. At least cardboard disposed of in the environment, instead of being recycled, quickly breaks down. We use recycled cardboard cartons for selling our excess eggs, no way would I even consider selling them in plastic.

We need to be using less plastic, not more!

9 Likes

In case you didn’t tweak, I was merely being facetious.

I deliberately did not buy them when I saw the plastic packaging but I bought a dozen delicious FNQ produced Yamagishi eggs in a conventional carton.

6 Likes

Costco sell all the eggs in clear plastic cartons (PET type with the “1” recycle symbol). Have done since they opened. I try to buy my eggs in cardboard cartons for the breaking down reason, but if we need a whole lot for cakes etc then the Costco ones often get purchased (they come in 30 or 60 egg selections & Cage Free apparently) and are far cheaper this way than our normal cage free dozen. We ensure the plastic is properly sent to the right bins at Coles or Woolies. Plastic is just so present these days it is hard to avoid it while doing any shopping, even if you take your own bags (we do), try to pick from loose lines of product (we do and try to avoid bagging just leaving loose), and try to avoid excessive packaging when no other choice is possible.

7 Likes

I wondered if you were, but this statement was a bit confusing: “Why does the rest of Australia leave it all to the Deep North to pioneer everything?”

4 Likes

I took that statement as the clue it was satirical.

7 Likes

Correct.

3 Likes

Agree,
It’s hardly novel or revolutionary. We were buying eggs in clear plastic in Japan in 2007. And a good percentage of the cardboard cartons we typically use may be recycled paper pulp. At least you can find other uses for the cardboard egg cartons or put them in the compost or yellow bin with confidence.

Better to recycle plastic into what we always use plastic for.

And the packaging says ‘pasture raised eggs’. What, no chickens were used in their production? :rofl:

P.s.

Our only eggs when we lived in Townsville.

5 Likes

This was the first time that I have ever seen plastic egg cartons and I was disappointed to see such a retrograde step in the face of the battle against plastics.

I was amazed that the owners of the farm state on their Facebook page “Just delivered the last lot of cardboard cartons to Babinda Spar. Check out the inside of our Recycled Plastic Cartons. Much better for our environment."

5 Likes

I like buying them in foil … once a year …

9 Likes

Not new - I ended up with some in clear plastic cartons which went into recycling about a year ago. I wouldn’t have them again, the carton takes up too much room in the bin (we take it to a bin in town). The cardboard ones I use to raise seedlings, lay as mulch, give to people with chooks, and finally end up in the compost.

7 Likes

Special Hens lay those Chocolate ones :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dusky Moorhens? he he …

5 Likes

I remember a few decades ago, that some dozen eggs were sold in plastic ‘cartons’…but these disappeared over time. Looks like history is repeating itself.

I would change brands if the eggs we usually buy came plastic wrapped.

7 Likes

There is no way I would buy eggs packed in plastic.

3 Likes

Eggs that come wrapped in chook taste the best.

5 Likes

Eggs wrapped in chicken…I have only had that delicacy once. An egg sac/ovary in a Chinese black chicken soup.

4 Likes

Now we know why you’re a ‘Food Champion’. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

When is that rocketship to Mars leaving?

The ‘free range’ eggs and the plastic packaging seems to give contradictory messages.

3 Likes