Reverse-ratio fridge/freezers

Was looking at the rate of household waste when it comes to food and it struck me: I think our fridges are part of the reason for this.

The most basic, small fridge/freezer gives you a large amount of space for items that will spoil in days to weeks - but only a tiny box for long-term food storage.

BIG FRIDGE IS IN LEAGUE WITH BIG FARMS! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I chose our fridge with a view to a large freezer section. Only the top mounts can offer that as the bottom mounts have the compressor etc behind which makes the space smaller. Overall, our family fridges have been getting bigger over the years.

Food wastage (in my opinion) is generally caused by lack of planning or impulse buying. A large fridge can hide a lot of things that needed using, out of sight, until they stink or there’s a clean out. I admit we have a large fridge because we live in a rural area and shop fortnightly, but it is all planned ahead.
There are hybrid chest fridge/freezers now available - this one from Betta Electrical. It can be used as either. I was considering one for freezing excess mango etc from our orchard during harvest and reverting to a fridge (or turning off) on other occasions.

This 142L Chest Freezer by ChiQ is designed to manage different temperature settings to suit a wider range of your storage needs.

4 Likes

For those with specific needs consider a pigeon pair - a matched fridge and a separate upright freezer, or just the fridge (no freezer included) and whatever freezer (upright or chest) that suits, perhaps kept in a pantry (ie not in the kitchen).

4 Likes

Perhaps you could flesh out your reasoning a bit. How would the size of fridges determine wastage? Do you imagine people feel the need to fill up their fridge with things they don’t need because all that empty space looks bad?

How do big farms influence fridge size?

1 Like

In some parts of Australia it’s best to keep many everyday condiments and food products in the fridge. It’s simply too hot and or humid to store them anywhere else.

That includes many varieties of fresh fruit and vegetables. Reality? They are often not really that newly picked and have spent most of the prior week or weeks getting to the super cooled environment inside the average supermarket. Frozen can be a great option.

We equate a larger fridge with a larger family.
And like @zackarii related, when we needed a cut lunch and a full tank to go to the supermarket to feed a growing family of boys, (about once per month) the 280l upright freezer proved essential. Not quite as energy efficient as a chest style, but more convenient it lived in a spare corner of the laundry.

3 Likes

Fridges have also got less storage efficient. The previous Mrs Z bought one with all the bells & whistles. Slowly the chiller box, ice cube contraption, half shelves, soft drink can dispenser, egg store etc were pulled out to make more room. Fortunately I was able to buy a No Frills Kelvinator with one shelf in the freezer and three in the fridge, 2 tubs for veg. Can fit much more in, more efficiently.
Perhaps it isn’t Big Farms, but consumer / marketing demand for bigger and more convenient - cold water dispenser, ice makers, soft drink door, defrosting area, chiller box etc. to go with our larger kitchens and gourmet cooking aspirations?

5 Likes

I’ve never been rich enough to waste anything, let alone food! About every 4th day we have a COF meal. This means I inspect the Contents Of the Fridge & make an interesting meal out of what needs using up. Of course I sometimes have to garnish it a bit! But I’ve done this all the years that I worked full time & more - & brought up 4 healthy kids.
Sometimes leftovers go straight into the freezer & come out for the family on nights that I’ve worked late.

4 Likes