"Resealable" Food Bags

Whilst the packs of empty clip seal bags that one buys work well, the supposedly resealable packs containing food products are worse than useless.

We buy Sunsweet seedless prunes which have a small cut near the top on either side of the packs to indicate where to attempt to tear them open.

Sometimes they will not tear and have to be cut with scissors, whilst on other occasions, they tear very unevenly, thus making them hard to reseal and to reopen.

The packs of Buhja Kingaroy peanuts tear open, but with little left above the clop seal, thus making it very hard to reopen.

And the worst of all are the bags of Ingham’s Buffalo Wings.

I cut a bag today along the line indicated and it would not open, so I cut a little more off and the seal was destroyed.

Even if they open properly, they will never successfully reseal. Thankfully we have rubber brands.

6 Likes

Tearing is a completely haphazard process, and the direction of the tear is determined by…??? But it never goes in the intended direction, and definitely not straight.

Using a pair of scissors I cut along the top of packets just under the topmost heat seal. This usually leaves enough packet to grab onto to open the packet successfully.

6 Likes

I just hack them semi-randomly with kitchen scissors and fold/seal them with a clothes peg.

The tear/cut here line must be a social experiment … someone is watching, and laughing …

6 Likes

I recommend you look for the following type product. The Reject Shops or Cheap as Chips shops occasionally have them and there are many sources on ebay. There seem to be a few diameters, some that only fit onto thinner materials (eg chip bags and similar) and others large enough to easily go on coffee and frozen chicken and fish and gyoza etc ‘bags’. They make as air tight a seal as a clip could make and are easy to apply and remove. Words to search include Seal Sticks Storage Bag Food Sealing Clips Grips

If it is not obvious, you fold the bag and slide the clip ‘over’ the fold with the yellow bit below (in?) the fold and the ‘tube’ around the fold.

4 Likes