Replacement Car Keys - overpriced

Bought a 2015 Suzuki in 2017 that had one key missing. Phoned a mobile locksmith who came to my house and within 20 mins had supplied a new folding key with appropriate transponder for $220. Seemed reasonable and simple.

1 Like

I have been having problems with replacing one of my remote car keys for my VW CC. One key was working perfectly but one failed so I ordered a new one which took weeks to come from Singapore. When the dealer programmed the new key my other key which was working stopped working. So I am now left with only one key again. After many attempts to fix the problem at the dealer over many months they said my key is old and I need to buy another one. I am not happy with this as it was working before they touched it and I think they should replace it for me for nothing. I am concerned that if I go ahead and buy another key the same thing could happen and I will still only end up with one working key. Has anyone else had these problems? I have been happy with the car but this issue has put me right off VW and I never want to deal with them again.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @carolyn8

Whether it was coincidental or not that your original key failed concurrently with a new key being programmed, I suggest you read about your rights under Australian Consumer Law and write a formal Letter of Complaint and deliver it to your dealership principal, not just the service writer/manager.

You can find many links to Choice advice, the ACCC, and member advice using the Community search tool or on the net via your favourite search engine. Be clear about the problem and what you want, and by when. Anything less than a formal Letter of Complaint is idle chit chat regarding your rights and getting a resolution. Unfortunately VW does not have the best reputation for customer support but the Letter of Complaint would be your next step, and then be prepared to take it to your state CAT (tribunal).

As a worst case, assume you buy another key and your second key suddenly stops working. You at least have evidence it is almost certainly them, not the original key.

Whether circumstantial evidence can carry the day is another issue, but good luck and please keep the topic updated how you go.

2 Likes

Either way as i found the key cutting guy still had to use the same style key. Nothing is ever cheap. My car is not new imagine new car key costs

2 Likes

True, our not so young Toyota key housing, the plastic on the end of the key that holds the push button unit cracked on both keys. A replacement metal blank with a compatible plastic outer (not Toyota original) still cost $90 including cutting for just one key. The original electronic push button unit is a drop in fit for the newer holder. It took 5 minutes for the Locksmith to cut the profile on the new blank and swap the push button unit over with a new battery.

3 Likes

Another member said they paid hundreds depending if it was original. Another member mentioned going to mister minit. Maybe they can replace older car keys. It sounds like you had the same problem i did because the key needs programming… I doubt a normal key cutting place will replace modern car keys unless they come to the person car. I remember it took a few hours for the key guy to re set

1 Like

An update on my issue.
Thank you Phil for your quick reply and helpful advice. I have finally got my new key. I had to pay $550 for it but it worked. The dealer gave me the key at the wholesale price and didn’t charge me to program it. They cleaned my car as well. I think they did their best to help me which is all I can expect. The service employee told me he had tried his best to get me a better deal but the VW company refused. So I agree with you that VW are not very good at customer relations.

2 Likes