Remote Indigenous communities left with broken cars and no redress

CHOICE travels to the remote Indigenous community of Wujal Wujal in Far North Qld to investigate dodgy motor vehicle sales. Read our investigation below:

4 Likes

So i needed a car to get to and from work, so i applied for a loan and after all the paper work the finance company gave me a limit of ten thousand and i was told to shop around. I needed a family car having five kids, and something reliable to get to and from work. So I shopped around and the family cars that i like wasnt in my price range. So i saw a car that had low klms and thought it would be reliable for work, i asked the sales man why it was so cheap six thousand dollars, his reply was because of the dints, if it didnt have any dints it will be worth ten thousand. So i thought ok thats cheap signed all the papers dove it home. Anyway couple of months later i had the service light and abs faulty came on, got that fixed that same day the it was still on i asked the mechanic about he said its an electrical faulty and also gave me a list of what is also neede to fixed so i paid $800 dollars for that. Just recently put my car in at my son’s work place my car came back and i was happy that the service light and abs faulty wasnt flashing and beeping i thought ahh yeah 500 to get that fixed that was worth it. Two to three days later it has started again. I am working and i have put so much money into this car aswell as paying it off, is it really worth it??. I am wanting a brand new car just for my family and i. It is not right that these caresales in cairns are selling these broken cars and selling them for the most riddiculas prices, and paying for warranty on top of it, and they dont like paying up even when its in the warranty time frame. My last car i bought in 2016 i had to talk blunt to the salesman i had to tell him it was in the papers i signed and that they had to pay for the thing i needed to be fixed. He didnt like it. Anyways i payed off that finance but the car was broken before then, computer wires melted against the manifold and a whole lot of other things also. The computer alone was $4000 dollars and with everthing else i would of paid $6000 in total. Its disgusting :rage:

3 Likes