Region Coding of Printers and Cartridges and Toners

I have not had any problems with any Win10 updates across 3 computers, 2 similar and one different, but Microsoft heavy handing Edge at us has been irritating to no end, as has the increasing driving toward Bing.

A sad reality is when that happens it is as often with the peripherals vendor as with Microsoft. There are a few posts on the community about that in printer reviews.

I specifically avoid Canon (and for other reasons HP). I had a perfectly good LIDE25 scanner on XP but it was no longer supported on Win7. Canon arrogantly stated it was incompatible. Some sleuthing and I discovered the drivers for another Canon scanner worked 100% fine, but one had to force load them (eg select the drivers manually). Today the same Win7 drivers work fine on Win10, but sadly they too have been declared ā€˜incompatibleā€™ by Canon.

It seems Canonā€™s (and some others) business model, not necessarily all on Microsoft. When Microsoft screws up their part they usually but not always eventually fix it. The others?

3 Likes

Obsolescence by design of the Manufacturers. Why would they continue to support product that no longer brings a profit to their door.

4 Likes

Snap, I kept an older laptop for just that purpose, up until we had a MF replacement. I still believe the dedicated scanner produced a better quality scan, than the MF flatbed. And significantly better than the document feeder.

3 Likes

A related printer issue I have recently discovered is with CANON Pixma, a printer I have had for 3-4 years and it has been good. Now suddenly every time I attempt to print something, a message comes up telling me that the **ink absorber" is nearly full and tht I must press the start printing button to print anything. Canon regional support was no help at all, wither online or on the phone. My computer guru had never heard of it. All the support centre would say is that it is a series of pads that absorbs surplus ink (!!!), that it is toocomplex for the normal uer to replace and that I need to find a good technician to fix it. Which, since I have spoken to two printer techs now who have never heard of it, I believe has an unspoken subtext which is - throw it out and buy a new printer!

4 Likes

We had a Canon flatbed scanner some years ago which from memory cost around $600, but when we bought a new Canon multifunction printer, I found that it scanned just as well as the flatbed as both were 2400 x 1200 dpi and the scanner then went to Lifeline.

1 Like

Maybe Canon ā€˜supportā€™ as well as yourself needs more worldly techs for support or advice. This undated ā€˜how toā€™ might help. It possibly dated but reads like your problem.

5 Likes

This is a well known issue. Most Inkjet printers at some point suffer this malady. The inkjets always prime the ink before a print and often do a clean at the end, this means that ink that is not being used to print needs to be dumped somewhere. These pads are often foam, but not always can they be cleaned or replaced. There was a tool for the older Canon printers that allows a user who has got into ā€œService modeā€ on the printer to reset the ink pad counter. This on more modern Canons is locked out and means that you need to either have a Canon authorised repairer do the job or ditch it. Depends on which is the cheaper option for the printer you have.

The link to the software in the following article is not to be trusted as I cannot vouch for itā€™s integrity. This article is provided only for the purposes of seeing what steps need to be taken to reset the counterā€¦

5 Likes

Depends what you currently use. I encountered a web site the other day that outright claimed that Microsoft Internet Explorer is not supported by the web site. So if you currently use MSIE, it may be as well to accept the inevitable and move to MS Edge.

As with the printers, it is a mix of blame between

• Microsoft breaking things (intentionally making things incompatible between an older version of the OS and a newer version, which is sometimes obviously well-motivated and sometimes not), and
  • vendors not being bothered to test and support every old model with each new OS version.

In the case of printers a cynic might think that the profit is in the consumables and not at all in the printer itself, in which case it makes sense to keep the customer happy by ensuring that there is a driver that works with newer OS versions.

3 Likes

It can be very costly to maintain a few cartridges for many no longer built printers. I think ā€œdieā€ costs to make the cartridges, storage space, both for the cartridges and the moldings/casts and all the extra assorted needs to make the cartridges at some point becomes non cost effective. Additionally they would want large turnovers not dribbles of uptake.

Scanners are perhaps not quite the same but the labour and certification costs involved in producing WHQL drivers would at some point be a burdensome cost. Like I said a built (or manufactured) in obsolescence that ensures both uptake of newer products and the consumables attached to that.

That doesnā€™t mean I like what they do or when they do it, it just means like almost every other piece of equipment, and or software there is a day that manufacturers step back from supporting it and it becomes a matter for the user to work out what cost they are happy to bear.

2 Likes

Ideally, newer printers still use the same cartridges as older printers (of the same make) but over the long term that probably doesnā€™t work. You canā€™t stop progress. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I donā€™t always see progress beyond new connection types, though if a newer wireless standard is more secure and better working or like the change from RS232 or Parallel Printer Ports to USBs can make some sense. Could they generic the cartridges to work across all models sure they could but locking them to certain printers makes for better profits when they make the new printers.

3 Likes