Reading Glasses poor design and quality

I purchased 2 pair of reading glasses last year . Since that time the screws in each have come undone some dozen times and the glasses have fallen to bits with the lens falling out. I take them back where I purchase and they replace the screw and glue them in only for the same thing to have a month later.
I feel the quality of the glasses are manifestly inappropriate for the price paid.
Design wise I note that the screws on both glasses are put in upside down - so that when the glasses are worn the screw is undoing toward the ground thus making it easier to gradually come loose and unsrew.
I have put in a formal complaint to Health Partners where I purchased then about the poor quality and design and asked then to discuss this issue with the manufacturers to ensure they are selling on a quality product.
Has anyone else had an issue with poor quality glasses?
Bob R

2 Likes

I have had problems with poor frames. I used to go to a budget optometrist but found the frames were very weak. I also found that basic frames were no good for me, now I get nitinol alloy which are much more durable.

I have the problem of screws getting loose. Rather than spend my life taking them back I fix my own. I have a set of jeweler’s drivers (very small screwdrivers) and tighten the screws regularly before they get lost. Such a set will cost you a few dollars and are very handy for opening remote controls and other implements held together with small screws. You can also try using nail polish in the thread but you will still need to inspect them as if the screws fall out finding them can be a real pain - especially if your glasses are broken!

The design with some screws being upside down is very common, I am not sure it makes much difference. I have no idea why they do this.

3 Likes

My optometrist bulk bills, my Extras cover is $250/year, and frames start from $299, but these come with a “lifetime” free adjustment and repair service. My husband has been taking his 10yr old glasses in to get the nose pads (fallen off & lost) $2 for parts, the rest free, but they see him every year and one day he will buy new specs. This is a private optometrist, not a chain. If they notice anything, they will sit me down too and adjust my distance and reading glasses.

I suspect they only stock good quality frames and I have not had a problem. I checked my screws and they are a mixture of top & bottom. Mostly the lens bottom and arms top down. My main problem with their frames is the colour coating lifting. This could be farm chemicals, a lot of sunlight, or other things like constant rubbing.

The lenses can be delicate. I dropped my glasses into the swimming pool and tried fishing them out with the leaf scoop. Pushing them around the bottom (in-ground vinyl) was enough for multiple scratches right in the field of vision. I took them to the optometrist to have the lens replaced, but as they were over 5 years old, they would not guarantee the frames and it was better to get new ones (with my rebate), even though the fames were still robust.

1 Like

This shouldn’t be an issue as it will be the opening and closing of the arms which loosen the screw. Cars have many bolts and houses have many screws which are ‘upside down’ and they don’t become lose because of gravity.

Also, if a replacement screw is smaller than that originally in the new glasses, even with gluing they will become loose very quickly as it will move within the thread. Maybe if they fall out again, when you take them back ask for them to find a slightly larger screw so that it is more likely to stay in longer.

Also a damaged thread in the glass frame can also cause a screw to become loose readily. If the screw has been replaced a few times and over tightened, the thread may be damaged.

Also if the arms have threads on them (hopefully they don’t), every time you ooen and close the arms the screw will move slightly
slowly working its way out. This can be overcome by drilling out the holes on the arms to remove any thread and so that arms move freely when the screw is in position.

As @syncretic suggests, it may be best to get a jewelers screwdriver set (these can be a few dollars at a cheap dollar discount type shop
and at the first day of every month check to see if the screws are still tight.

3 Likes