Raymor toilet suites

We have recently moved into our new home, both toilets are branded “Raymor”. After a week or so both my wife and self made comment that the toilets don’t flush very well, in fact at times take 3 flushes to complete a clean flush! And further one had to hold the button down until the flush process was completed. My initial research found very little info and only two reviews which were extremely negative! These toilets are very poorly designed and don’t function as they should with the obvious result they use more water instead of less!! we are going to replace them with a better brand.
Any comments would be welcome.

3 Likes

We have Raymor toilets in our house and have had no trouble with them, apart from the flushing mechanism failing in one. We bought another which fixed the problem. The water level is adjustable and you may need to increase it if it isn’t flushing correctly. Mr Z has a theory that if you just touch the button, wetting the walls of the bowl, No.2s will not stick. One flush will then clear the S bend. We are on tank water and septic.

I like the Raymor - it has small holes under the rim so that frogs cannot get up into the sistern. Unfortunately a “standard” plastic toilet seat doesn’t fit.

3 Likes

The flush mechanism has an adjustment - see the red level control at the bottom. The blue float controls the water level (I think). Adjusting, servicing or replacing this may avoid a complete toilet system replacement.

4 Likes

If you have a look at the search results the video that comes up at the top has six key topics, including how to adjust the inlet valve on a Raymor.

If that doesn’t help add your cistern model into the query and have a look at the results.

1 Like

Thanks Komani - a seemingly mundane topic, but important. Our circumstances match yours exactly, but with another brand. And while research might give endless data on water capacity, refill time, how easily it is cleaned, etc, the basics of how many flushes on average does it take to clear the bowl are not mentioned. Things like bowl-shape, degree of distribution of water at the point where the flush starts, power of the flush, the exit channel – size and shape, all have an impact on flush functionality. When you’re a customer in a shop seeking to purchase a new bowl, what is there on which to base a judgement?

1 Like

Many thanks BassaJack for your response and imput. We are in a lifestyle village, I have broached this subject with other home owners, they all have the same issues. I suspect these toilets have been installed because they are very cheap comparatively. It would appear this model has a low volume cistern matched up to an old style pan not designed for low volume flushes.
The first thing I checked was the water level in the cistern and yes, as high as is possible to adjust. I have since visited several large plumbing suppliers to study the shape of the pan and yes, the newer low volume flush is of a very different design, and am not surprised that the pan we have simply cannot work effectively. An enormous amount of engineering, design and technology is required to make these low volume toilets work effectively and hence a more hefty price tag of around $600, not $190 as I suspect is/was the price of our installed model.

2 Likes

I Couldn’t agree more with Komani. We too have moved into a Lifestyle Village, and the two bathrooms are fitted with Raymor toilet suites. I’ve set the water level in the cisterns to the maximum level, but they are incapable of achieving a decent flush, it takes about 3 goes, so no water saving there. A pointless design in my opinion. I’m planning to have them pulled out as a neighbour has, and have them replaced with a more effective design with a higher pedestal. The Raymor is far too low for comfort for octogenarians.

1 Like

It’s worthwhile questioning the pedestal design. The design of the pedestal determines the minimum volume of water required for an effective flush. Especially for no 2’s or when more than a sheet or two of loo paper is used.

We are on tank water. Our old pedestal was a low flush volume design with an ‘S’ trap. When it was upgraded to a high seat back to wall unit the pedestal was supplied with a horizontal pipe adapter to allow the unit to match the floor connection to the septic. The new pedestal also has a horizontal rear discharge, rather than continuing to fall downwards as would a conventional ‘S’ type pedestal.

It’s not as reliable as the old design. I suspect the length of horizontal pipe required in these designs requires a longer flush to ensure adequate clearance. The modern cistern and rimless pedestal also seem to take longer to discharge the set volume.

Whether alternate brands of back to wall units are any more reliable in clearing contents, one would hope the Australian standards properly address this in testing. Perhaps there is an exception allowed to use extension adapters with back to wall that is not performance tested. Fashion over function?

It’s likely a $1000 prestige suite may perform no better than the $200 generic.

3 Likes

Thank you Mark for your worthwhile comments. While the bowl design is critical for low volume flushes, the plumbing there after is also critical and must be matched up accordingly to any new or replacement bowl. A successful flush with low volume flush is combined with a strong syphon action to clear the waste, I suspect if you have a horizontal section in the discharge the strong syphon effect will be compromised. A well designed bowl from well known brand with correct plumbing will ensure complete clearance of the bowl.

1 Like

How does a siphon action that removes waste not empty the trap and allow sewer gas into the house?

Thank you for your comments Marmot, I don’t think I can add much more, except that we also will take out at least one of our Raymor toilets and replace it with a toilet that is designed to perform what it is meant to do. To be fair I suspect there are other models of Raymor toilets that perform OK, but certainly not the models we have. It is well worthwhile taking a visit to various suppliers to check out what is available on the market design wise, you will also find that various pedestal heights are also available

2 Likes

We have 6 low flow toilets (4 in the business) and we have 4 different makes and models. Some are rear exiting, some are floor exiting. All are plagued with the problem of not flushing #2s all the time with one flush. They work very well for #1s, but often struggle with #2s. I suspect that the race to make toilets more water efficient has compromised somewhat their ability to perform 100% all the time.

1 Like

I hear what you say, but the best do perform well for both. The biggest problem for the average buyer is how to quantify/select which brand/model is actually going to perform to the buyers expectations. If you have another day understanding of the design and engineering requirements for a clear flush then that helps. Too difficult to explain on this format

2 Likes

Possibly.

There has been a big change from wall mounted cisterns and independent pedestals. Differences in the exact position of the waste connection relative to the rear wall were accommodated by cutting the flush connecting pipe to length to suit.

The following pic shows a modern integrated back to wall toilet suite. The S trap design looks very effective. I’ve high lighted the range of adjustment possible between the pedestal exit and waste pipe point. The waste can be as little as 90mm from the back wall up to 230mm.

Compared to an old fashioned S type pedestal which has no horizontal pipe for discharge, this product needs sufficient flow to ensure waste can get across the spigot. A distance of 50mm nominally and up to 190mm with the longest extension kit.

Any real world test would need to trial both the short and longer set outs for effectiveness.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, it looks to be a very good conversion. On the wider scenario of this issue I think all manufacturers need to prove to customers that their brand of toilet performs as it should, just how they do this is up to them. Maybe Choice could amend their method of rating to include actual performance and not just amount of water used on each flush?

2 Likes