Quantum Hot Water Heat Pumps

I have had two Quantum hot water heat pumps installed at my property in Torquay, Victoria within 12 years. I’m now needing to replace the 2nd unit and will not purchase another Quantum product. Seeking advice for a better and more reliable brand for the Victorian climate.

3 Likes

Quantum certainly do not rate very highly on Product Review.

We had a Saxon heat pump at our previous residence which was fantastic but unfortunately they went out of business.

Here is an article regarding heat pumps which includes Reclaim which offers a stainless steel tank model.

And some other models with stainless steel tanks.

https://www.sanden-hot-water.com.au/how-a-sanden-heat-pump-system-works

A stainless steel tank system does not need a sacrificial anode which must be regularly replaced to avoid the tank being destroyed by corrosion.

Choice has the following guide to reliability, a few years old, but worth a read. It also links to the buying guide.

I would tend not to recommend any company having “quantum” in its name - the word is so misused that it suggests the company is simply seeking attention and has no idea what its own name actually means.

The same argument applies with companies that use words such as “synergy” and other jargon, and in some cases even “natural”. Greenwashing impresses me as little as does jargon.

1 Like

Thanks very much for all of your informed comments. I am leaning heavily towards a Reclaim Energy Hot Water Heat Pump although they appear to be a bit on the expensive side.

2 Likes

Assume you have multiple quotes - different brands, as well as several for that brand from their local installers. It is an interesting combination that appears to use a repurposed proprietary RC air conditioner outdoor unit.

It may be wise to also consider international brand products for price and performance, alongside any more locally branded products! A warranty is only as good as the longevity of the local supplier or importer/manufacturer.

Are you able to share any thoughts on why the Reclaim Energy branded product is a better choice for yourself needs. EG warranty, manufacturer, product time in the market, other?

There are a number of Australia only companies in the market place. The principal elements of the systems are typically imported, hence the products origins despite the Aussie-ness of the supplier is mostly foreign.

1 Like

I purchased and had installed a 320 litre Reclaim Heat Pump hot water Unit late July. I have a 3kW solar system and I am STILL sending almost half of it back daily to the grid even with the Reclaim running from 10am to around 12.30pm at the latest during the day. The Unit takes most of its power from my solar with a VERY small dent. I am seriously pleased that I shut off my gas! I have literally saved myself over $400 in gas bill I would have received.
I have been recording solar and metered electricity data twice a day for this entire cycle just to make sure what I am talking about.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Ferretqueen.
It’s always helpful for others when there is something to share.
315l is on the larger size of systems that might suit a family of 4 or more.

2 Likes

Just adding a recent expereience (today)! Basically steer clear of this company if you want to not have to worry about dealing with this companies woeful warranty and poor quality components.

I purchased a 3 year old house that had this unit installed from new. 1 year later the unit failed to provide hot water. Called Quantum, they gave me a number of someone to call to come out and inspect. If under warranty, free otherwise a call out fee. 5 year warranty so figured all good at only 4 years. Tech came out next day who was great, quickly diagnosed it was the compressor that has failed. Compressor and all electricals only 2 year warranty, so had to pay for service call. Called Quatum - same answer. Tech quoted to replace compressor and regas was $1200 - warranty on new compressor only 1 year! Yes unit is very efficient for electricty use, but you are certainly not saving much money in the long run with a very poor warranty and poor components needing replacement well short of what they should last if you think airconditioners (5-7 years) and old school water storage heater tanks (10-12 years). Replaced with an “old style” water storage heater, knowing that it should be fine for 10 years plus of hot water.

3 Likes

Welcome to the CHOICE Community @Mike22

Sorry to read about your experience and outcome.

Regardless of their warranty you may still have rights under ACL (Australian Consumer Law) to seek coverage for the failure. To obtain this rectification may involve using the Civil and Administrative Tribunal in your State/Territory.

This requires that formal complaints are made in writing and there are lots of references to this process on the Community.

A quick link or two to some of the information about ACL and complaints letters follows

4 Likes

Thanks for the prompt response with these ideas.

3 Likes

We have a Quantum hot water system installed in late January 2021. It worked fine for about a year and a half. In the middle of winter last year, it conked out - twice. It took nearly 10 days before the company sent over someone to come and diagnose the problem; it took over a week for them to get the spare part to replace the damaged one. In between - we had to deal with their frontline office staff who have an overbearing manner. Now, in the middle of winter again in Victoria, we have had to request for repair and service from Quantum Energy. After following up several times we had to ring up their subcontractor who was very brash on the phone and in person. Now I am out of pocket for a spare part that their subcontractor replaced less than a year ago.
I would NOT recommend this product because it is mediocre and unreliable and because dealing with their staff and subcontractor is traumatising.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @QualityConscious1

You may find the post, two before yours, by @grahroll informative as to your consumer rights.

2 years and 6 months is a poor outcome for an expensive hot water system. Importantly look to your consumer guarantees under Australian Consumer law. Are you able to advise which component failed both times, and why the supplier required you to pay for the second repair?

3 Likes