Microwave review

I’m in the process of purchasing a new Microwave .30-32 litres would be ideal for me . Would appreciate any input from forum members re reliable brands , warranty and ease of use . I know there are product review forums out there but I don’t trust them . You can buy likes for your products. .Rent a" crowd" syndrome. Choice also tests Microwaves but sometimes the list is not up to date
Any advice would be much appreciated

1 Like

Here’s a link to the CHOICE microwave review for those who are interested (member only report).

We’d love to hear your experiences with microwave ovens, so please post in the comments below.

2 Likes

Thanks Brendan . Great help

1 Like

My NEC has never missed a beat in 12 years.

1 Like

I don’t think they are available anymore , worse luck but thanks all the same

My National was purchased in 1983 based on a choice recommendation it still works perfectly. 33 years is not bad.
Outlasted the manufacturer obviously no planned obsolescence in that design.

2 Likes

Panasonic and Breville are at the top of the hit list . Keep the input coming it is very appreciated .

I personally have had good experience with Panasonic products. I have a Panasonic microwave ATM, and had one for about 15 years before that. What’s more, the first one was reconditioned, so wasn’t even new when I bought it! Wouldn’t happen today, as no-one does repairs any more.

I like that there is no longer a turntable, you just put the dish in the centre and that’s it. It makes it easier for square casseroles etc.

There is a forum called Product Review that I definitely do trust. It doesn’t censor reviews, it shows positive and negative, I know, because I have written good and bad reviews for products, and they post both on the site.

2 Likes

I have just purchased a new LG Inverter MW (very happy performance wise) and was astonished to find that it needs a clearance of 20cm (200mm) sides and back and 85cm (850mm) on the top. Our built in recess only affords about 20 mm space all the way around and about 50 mm on top. What are the consequences of putting the LG into that recess?
Is this the end of the built-in microwave?

It would certainly be the end of your warranty if you built it in and did not follow LG’s specifications . I feel for you as a salesperson at the point of purchase , whether online or not , should have advised you of this . I would certainly notify the retailer your purchased the unit from of your situation . Maybe they can offer an alternative built in unit . If that fails notify LG Australia .

1 Like

Vax
It’s fine, we have installed the MW in an open bench position giving enough space around and above.
Thanks
pH

1 Like

Anytime , I’m glad it worked out for you

I purchased a Miele brand about 5 years ago.
I wouldn’t recommend this brand a microwave. It has been returned once for maintenance and it doesn’t really function that well.
Not worth spending the extra $ just because of the brand.
Hope this helps.

Melinda

1 Like

Thank you very much Melinda .

1 Like

I am looking for a simple microwave. Been very happy with our old NEC mechanical dial, but can’t find them any more. Why are they so complicated now? I basically swing the dial to 2 mins and shut the door (starts on door shut and power dial is left on 100%.) The door surround became brittle and some fell out and the internals are starting to rust. I bought this prior to 1996 (possibly 1989). Since last year we have used 8 other microwaves (lent or given) all annoying. Gripes - no built-in light (used a torch) & buttons took several presses to work; continually blew internal fuse; drive motor locked up; turntable kept coming off drive; to cook 10.5mins had to (a) press power, (b) 100%, © time, (d) mins x 10 (e) sec x 30 (press 43 times!!), food had blown through vent and on to working parts (previous owners) so couldn’t work properly & mice ate wiring; plastic bags inflated with steam would stick to roof & walls, the drive struggled and made metal on metal noises until it died (sealed unit, couldn’t fix), very noisy (have to turn up TV in next room) and vibrates like mad - looks like poor design of motor / drive. These are things worth checking. If there are still simple dial operated microwaves on the market I would like to know.

1 Like

Yes it grieves me to be replacing my old Whirlppol brand Microwave . It had just 2 dials too . Power and timer . Oh how simple things used to be .

I absolutely love my Sharp Microwave. I had a Sharp which I loved, it eventually died. I bought a Panasonic as recommended by Choice but it didn’t compare to my old one. When it died I bought another Sharp, its brilliant!

1 Like

@vivhalaska Thank you very much for your input . I must admit Sharp have always had a good name and I’m glad you are happy with your latest purchase .

Whatever you do, don’t buy a Sharp R330YS (top rated in a Choice magazine test in 2015).

I can see why it topped the ratings as it was the best microwave i’ve ever used in terms of cooking food, however after a few uses it started rusting and after cooking almost any type of food, it would be covered in water, we’d have to remove the turntable to dry out the base, dry the walls, the gaps between the door and oven etc… We were going through masses of paper towels. It was also quite noisy (rattly).

Sharp originally claimed it was our fault for using it in an enclosed space. I sent them a photo showing it was not enclosed on any side. They then told me to take it back and get a refund.

I replaced it with a Samsung MS32J5133B microwave which doesn’t cook quite as well as the Sharp did, but is quieter and doesn’t have any build-up of moisture (and hasn’t caught fire or exploded yet).

1 Like

@hitspacebar Yes I read the latest Choice reviews of Micro waves and Breville seemed to win out . I know some of the Brevilles are trouble long term . That Sharp Model is duly noted and thanks for the input . Much appreciated

1 Like