Psychic & Clairvoyant Scams Warning

My wife asked me about a large number of emails she had received from an “Esmeralda” promising good luck and untold riches so I did a quick Google search which produced the following results.

https://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types-Buying_or_selling-Psychic__clairvoyant-Esmeralda_Wicca.htm

https://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types-Buying_or_selling-Psychic__clairvoyant-Donna_Esmeralda.htm

Even the other psychics think it is a scam. Surprise. Surprise.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t normally look at a thread like this, but thought you must be joking… since all “professional” psychic and clairvoyants are effectively scammers!

10 Likes

So when thay say you are a scammer, you must be really bad.

3 Likes

Maybe professional scammers rather than professional psychic and clairvoyants. Some psychic and clairvoyants believe in what they do…scammers believe in something else.

4 Likes

Does it take one to know one? :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

1.5years ago out of the blue I started receiving emails from “Sensitive Physic” Miranda. I delete them without reading, marking as scam - nothing helps, she continues sending her messages 2-3 times a week, promising happy life and heaps of money, if I change my mind and respond.

2 Likes

Is there an “unsubscribe” link in the fine print at the bottom of the emails?

If so, try clicking on it, and confirming “unsubscribe” if then requested.

That got rid of the scam emails that my wife had been receiving prior to unsubscribing.

Unsubscribing to most of these emails is not a recommended step in all security/spam mail removal blogs and advice. Most unsubscribes in these cases only confirm for spammers that they have a “live victim”. You may get lucky with the odd one that may remove you from their addresses but it is very rare and not worth the risk. It is better to just filter the emails straight to the deleted/bin/junk folder.

Unsubscribing is worth trying only when it has been with a reputable company to whom you have subscribed for contact. I doubt that in the case of Miranda that @Tanya even initially subscribed to the mailing list, the address was likely added as a result of someone buying the address off a spammer or through a purchase of addresses off another mailing list from a company that sells it’s data.

5 Likes

In addition to this, a lot of email spammers use tracking now to find “live victims”. They can confirm if you’ve opened it and how many times, and will keep messaging you in the hopes of roping you in when you’re vulnerable.

5 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Miranda does not provide any “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of her creations. If there was one I wouldn’t click on it, as I was advised against touching anything in a spammer’s message. I think, she got my email address after I visited one of those Wellness fairs in Perth.

4 Likes

Mail programs typically have email rules that can be set to simply delete without opening. You never even know these things have been sent in the first place, unless your mail system has a reporting function.

6 Likes

As @Gregr notes email clients have variously called rules or filters that can intercept incoming emails from origin, domain, words in the subject, or sometimes even words in the text body. You can usually then cause them to be marked read and deleted never to be seen in your inbox. Marking them read is technically unnecessary but in some mailers it eliminates being informed you have unread messages in your trash/bin.

They are pretty easy to set up. If you are not sure how let us know which mailer you use and we can help.

5 Likes

Yes the rules are quite easy to set up. Now I use a webmail program (atmail) rather than an email client. I set rules for anything coming from .icu or .info domains and other more specific sources to just “vanish” , so the unwanted emails don’t even go to the trash folder. A weekly report tells me what has been vanished…about 30 emails a week.

5 Likes

There are .info sites that may hold value. Not all are spamish types so I prefer to junk file them (review before deletion) or use Spam Assassin to deal with some:

https://info.info/directory

7 Likes

I received an email from Esmeralda this week, but before “unscribing”, I provided a two word response.

And whilst on the subject of charlatans, here is an article regarding a couple claiming some quack was responsible for them winning lotto.

It would be a little more believable if they were actually told what the winning numbers would be.

1 Like

An article regarding the history of fortune tellers in Australia.

Interesting to see that it is still illegal in SA & NT. Perhaps a national reintroduction might be a good idea to help stop fools and their money from being separated.

2 Likes

But think of the jobs it will cost! This reason is given to support so many other industries that do harm to society and/or the environment so why not the psychics, fakirs and fakers?

An update regarding fortune telling scammers.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/scam-syndicate-foretelling-black-magic-curses-in-fortune-readings-exposed-in-aussie-shopping-centres/fa9cd119-eecd-4aa4-9435-104ef0aa1122

1 Like

Having a science background, I wonder if the heading to this thread is a tautology?

3 Likes