Prostate Cancer Research

When reading these posts, i symathise with all sufferers of prostate cancer. Like many of the contributors, I made it a strict ANNUAL routine to have the necessary examinations. EARLY DETECTION is the key to a satisfactory outcome.

A digital examination SUGGESTED that I may have haa potential problem. My urologist arranged for me to have a flow test, which also SUGGESTED a problem. A subsequent biopsy was inconclusive… options included do nothing other than increase regular tests. However as other contributors have made very clear, late treatment of prostate cancer can be both painful and often is too late to avoid painful and possible death.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS early treatment has a high success rate. In my case I may not have needed treatment, but due to the availability of BRACHY THERAPY, I decided the attack the risk rather than wait for confirmation of full on cancer.

Brachy therapy is a realatively simply day surgery procedure. Radio active pellets (with an effective life of about 3 months) are injected into the prostate gland under mild anethesthetic. Recovery is in an arm chair and is made quite enjoyable with the support staff providing information, support and copious cups of tea. Personally I suffered no post operative pain and 10 years later there is no sign of cancer anywhere in my body.

The final plus for taking early action is that, unlike other procedures, none of the nerves external to the prostate area are dammaged, thus enabling normal lifestyle activities to continue as before the procedure. In my opinion and in my case I’d make this summation. Minimal pain, no invasive or painful surgery, no high powered radiation, very high success rate when early action is taken,
very low risk of cancer returning, no ongoing pain, and lifestyle remains normal.

Based on presonal experience, i would encourage readers to keep this potential killer under regular observation, and discuss your issues or concerns with your medical professional

Dr. Geoff PhD.

3 Likes

An analysis of the recent report on PSA testing https://www.healthnewsreview.org/2017/09/most-news-coverage-on-new-psa-testing-study-acknowledged-costly-trade-offs/ There is still no consensus on screening.

1 Like

This doctor went on to discover BRCA1:

1 Like

Many thanks for promoting awareness of this important health issue grahroll… Absolutely agree that a lot more money and effort needs to go into research, treatment and awareness of prostate cancer. Men’s health in general deserves a lot more attention and resources - physical, mental, social & emotional health…

3 Likes

I believe that prostate cancer in men is similar and as relevant to men as is breast cancer to woman. Prostate cancer does not get the media attention that breast cancer does. Wouldn’t it be a nice thought if it could beto a shared financial Charity in research for cures for both complaints in men and in women.

4 Likes

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/new-prostate-cancer-treatment-a-gamechanger/news-story/99549881caf561f9ad4c69fe238e5884

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, it is near enough as commonly diagnosed as breast cancer with 18,000 new cases for 2018.

https://prostate-cancer.canceraustralia.gov.au/statistics

Breast cancer can affect women at any age but very often in middle age.
Prostate cancer most often affects men in their later years. One good reason for males to consider how they plan to spend their later years. For those with the more aggressive cancer from personal observation it can be very limiting and draining on the victim.

Early detection and proper assessment is critical, if only to ensure you make the most of the remaining golden years.

2 Likes

Researchers improve prostate cancer prediction accuracy.

1 Like

Another development in prostate cancer treatment.

2 Likes

Another article regarding testing for prostate cancer using urine testing.

Another article regarding research into treating prostate cancer which appear to be promising.

2 Likes

An article regarding Japanese research, which was published in the Internarional Journal of Cancer, which found that eating mushrooms 3 times a week lowered the risk of developing prostate cancer by 17%.

1 Like

A reason perhaps to cook mushrooms and tomatoes in a few meals a week to reduce prostate risks, as well as making some foods taste better eg chicken, mushroom and roasted tomatoes sounds like a meal plan to me :smile:

1 Like

Great!

I’m only about 1.5 times.

But also,

• Do you need to live in a Japan?
  • Do you need to have followed a less western and more traditional Japanese style diet for a lifetime?
  • Do you need to have a specific genetic trait most commonly associated with being of Japanese heritage?

Any or all of the above, it offers an interesting insight to what can drive or delay development of this specific cancer.

Has this been replicated in other populations?

1 Like

The AFR is ‘Paywalled’.
Providing links to open publications can assist with sharing information and better informing the rest of the community. Alternately would a short personal summary of what has been publicly announced be useful too?

Just what is this radical plan?

If it is a significant public policy announcement , don’t we deserve to know about it for free?

Or is the AFR just recycling?

The latest from the Fed Health Minister appears to contain no such dramatic announcements.

It was fully readable when I posted it but it is no longer so, and as I cannot find an alternate one, I will delete it.

1 Like

It wasn’t a recycle from what I could tell, AFR obviously produced an article but it was hard to find any other articles of a free nature about the BBQ. Some links that the article referred to can be read here:

https://www.pcfa.org.au/model-of-care/

What the article spoke on was the push to make a much more holistic approach to treatment so no longer just concentrating on the physical side of the treatment but addressing the psychological effects that men suffer.

Scoot Morrison, Greg Hunt & Anthony Albanese all spoke about how the cancer has had an effect on themselves and their families. All were talking before the annual Parliamentary Big Aussie Barbie, run by the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA) this week in Canberra. Professor Jeff Dunn, the newish Chief Exec of the PCFA announced the new and hopefully World leading approach at their annual Parliamentary Big Aussie Barbie. https://www.bigaussiebarbie.com.au/

Part of what is hoped to be addressed is the 70% increased risk of suicide that men diagnosed with this cancer experience than their non afflicted peers. About one in four experience anxiety, and one in five are reporting depression.

The AFR have run a few articles on Prostate Cancer recently and the main author has been Jill Margo Health Editor.

Some recent tweets by PCFA about their current push & recent research:

https://twitter.com/PCFA/

3 Likes

Thanks @grahroll.
It would appear other news events have kept the BBQ from wider coverage.

Recognising the emotional impact on those with PC and need for more support for those with the cancer is always welcome.

As a cancer which can affect younger males, but is more pronounced with age, and very common, it gets less attention than it deserves. My father had a slow progressing PC into his 80’s (he was living with us). The condition and treatment heavily and negatively impacts on overall health and fitness. I’ve personally seen the impacts on others of similar vintage. Unfortunately for most the treatment is simply a delaying tactic. It’s true and total impact is masked by old age. Victims don’t stand out other from other older males. Of course to near family and friends who know the victims true age, the effects become more acute and noticeable as PC progresses.

A more serious question to ask of government is whether victims of the cancer, are technically disabled relative to good health? And whether we need more than recognition or if the small increase in support goes far enough.

Other than radical intervention where the cancer is observed to develop earlier in life, the approx 1in7 Australian males who develop the cancer have to live with it until death. The statistics suggest more than 0.25M mostly older Australian males are living with PC.

As medicine improves our ability to live longer, it seems likely Prostate Cancer will become an even more significant wet blanket on the lives of older Australian males, and their immediate family and friends. Something the wider community needs to respond to. This requires improved inclusiveness, to help prevent victims of PC descending into mental decline, or worse.

The announced funding to support the proposed program.

2 Likes

Another article regarding research into detecting prostate cancer.

2 Likes