Profile pictures broken?

Are profile pictures broken at the moment or is it just me?

Looking at https://choice.community/c/site-feedback for example, in the users column, close to half of them come up as broken images and the rest come up as the expected image.

I would say that the broken ones are those who are letting the web site generate the picture i.e. specified letter in specified colour (e.g. me).

4 Likes

I have noticed the same on our android tablet running chrome.

On our windows 10 desktop running chrome, the images appear.

I put is down to a chrome android issue and was waiting until the next uodate to see if it is fixed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report @person. There is an issue occuring with profile pics and we have our tech team sorting it out now :+1:

6 Likes

When I try Chrome, the images disappear.

So Firefox shows a broken image but Chrome doesn’t show anything at all. So if you used Chrome, you wouldn’t necessarily see a problem or even realise that there is a problem.

Are you actually seeing the images in Chrome? So, using Chrome, to the left of my name (“person”) in the first post above, what do you see?

1 Like

On the desktop yes, on the android verson no. There is nothing but background colour.

I usually have a green circle with a P as tne avatar, but neither show on the android version…only shows on the desktop.

Not all avatars have disappeared, only some. BTW, yours is one I can’t see on android.

1 Like

What do you see for mine (Chrome on desktop)?

Also, have you cleared your cache to make sure that you aren’t caching working versions of the images?

1 Like

For the past few days, on my IPad2, there’s a question mark on everyone, except Brendan.

2 Likes

What I get in Chrome for the page is:

In Opera (Chromium):

In Firefox (65.0.1 (64-bit)) is:

In the Firefox image the info line has a broken image for @person

See also from Firefox:
Annotation%202019-02-21%20171947

Annotation%202019-02-21%20172058

Annotation%202019-02-21%20172910

Annotation%202019-02-21%20172219

As you can see profile pictures can be entirely missing from a topic or only in select parts of the topic eg @natural.thought

However for when selecting a person’s tag from using the “@” symbol most pictures are missing:
Annotation%202019-02-21%20172535

1 Like

Red Circle with P. Same as @grahroll below on Firefox.

Yes, and don’t use data save either. Still can’t see selected avatars.

Can see @grahroll though.

I wonder if is the discourse default ones (colour circle with letter) which are the issue, as it appears custom ones can be seen.

1 Like

That’s what I suggested in the opening post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Chrome/Chromium the entire picture or broken image icon is missing in the info bar in Firefox you get the broken image symbol. I also note the defender shield still appears in Chrome/Chromium in the info bar.

@person just as an experiment would you like to try a profile custom pic and see if that updates your posts with that pic? No need if you don’t wish to. The reason I ask is that @natural.thought’s pic of the letter appears in a post but is missing in the stat/info bar.

1 Like

I thought of that but … what happens with the algorithm that automatically assigns default pics? If I do that, will someone else get to reuse my colour? Or does the system recognise that the colour is irrevocably assigned to me even if I am not using it?

2 Likes

Not sure myself I will create a new user just to test and then delete them after the test.

Both system supplied profile pic and custom pic images. Custom shows up system doesn’t:

Annotation%202019-02-21%20175620

Annotation%202019-02-21%20175530

2 Likes

Apologies again for the error. Everything should be back to normal now :wink:

3 Likes

It certainly is for me, I think including some new pics for some members, and even a new icon for Choice (scales of justice in a shield) appearing in my tabs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All good for me to.

I even added a customised avatar earlier today to see if that worked, but you beat me to it.

3 Likes

As the original reporter I suppose I should respond that it is working for me now too.

3 Likes

All the profile pics are back on my iPhone and iPad. But on the iPad my G is outside the roll down tab, just over the T in community. And I can see it as I scroll down the page.

3 Likes

All back to normal, thank you. :smile:

3 Likes

Yipee.

Even though it didn’t affect functionality, regular user would have seen something was amiss and wonder if there were other problems as well.

3 Likes