Print size on product labelling

I have also been absolutely infuriated with this problem. Even my optometrist complains. I am an artist and when I was younger I also studied graphic design (this was before computers). Rule number one was always: It Must Be Legible. This was in order to sell the product. I wonder how much of this problem is due to the lack of training–anyone can use a computer–Yes? Is there anyway of getting a large enough group to raise consciousness? Protest? Maybe we could approach Gruen. Very Annoyed

3 Likes

As a graphic designer I have done a few labels in my past and I am pretty sure there is a legal type size. I personally would never go too small but in all cases, the client wants so much information on a label that everything is at a minimum. I come across a label of a juice bottle the other day and couldn’t quite make out the sugar content so asked the husband to look at it (it would have been 2pt type) … 52 grams!!! completely unacceptable and I feel deliberate on the companies part as I am pretty sure that’s the information people are wanting to know. Which reminds me, I need to contact ACCC on that one.

5 Likes

How much time do you have…? :smile:

Rather than take up this morning writing a reply, here is a recent blog I wrote - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/australian-privacy-act-gone-nuts-richard-warland-%E5%8D%8E%E6%9D%8E%E5%AF%9F?trk=mp-reader-card

MUCH more to come when I finally get my blogsite up and running…

Actually, I WILL add more…

During my career I managed young marketing graduates who never ceased to amaze me with their willingness to practice the LETTER of the law but not the SPIRIT of the law!

Tiny ingredients list printed on packaging is just one example of this…

1 Like

Ah yes, people read text without understanding what it really means. A wise man once told me, “A text without a context is merely a pretext.”

5 Likes

I have started a personal boycott on weight watchers frozen meals for this very reason!
I am fully aware that as a mother of a life threatening allergy to nuts child, it is MY responsibility to read packaging carefully, this is my life (and his, more to the point).
Perhaps I have become blase to the degree that I expect allergens to be in bold or listed separately, sadly after research I find this to be a recommendation not a law :frowning:
The sheer panic that set in after consuming a meal I did not know had traces of nuts in it,(not may contain, just, traces of nuts) due to stupidly small white print on a dark gray background (new, apparently upmarket, packaging for weight watchers frozen meals) would not be wished upon anybody.

tl;dr

1. weight watchers frozen meals have ridiculously small print in poor contrast tones for size
  2. weight watchers frozen meals do NOT highlight allergens to compensate for their ridiculously small print in poor contrast tones for size

I agree. With an aging population, many of us struggle to read small print, even with glasses. I keep magnifying glasses in almost every room in the house but it’s difficult in shops. I would think manufacturers could increase font size without too much expense.

1 Like

I believe manufacturers know that their labels are hard to read. Manufacturers hope that their front of pack label claims will be relied upon instead. The space on product packaging is very limited and at a premium. As consumers we do not get to see every ingredient that is included in a product. They are often rolled up into a higher parent category, such as flavours. If every ingredient was listed in a product, there would be no room left for anything else.

2 Likes

Or just don’t buy products with so many abstract ingredients.

1 Like

I am in the same “boat” , at 74 years old I went to the optometrist recently and he gave me a clean bill of health on my glasses prescription. BUT I also have trouble reading the instructions on the back of Cooking Products on how to prepare that product and the ingredients. Sent an E-Mail to the company involved but got no response or a automatic response from their computer. Solution don’t buy the product.

1 Like

Sometimes I have to search for quite a long time to find the expiry date. The other day, I found I couldn’t read all of a label, even with my fairly new reading glasses on, as the print was so small. Apart from expiry dates, country of origin, and ingredients, I also like to know the time frame within which the product should be consumed, e.g. “Consume within 3 days of opening”.

1 Like

In the olden days (stop laughing!) print technology limited their ability to print small. Now, the ability has become the justification. Generally, I don’t buy products unless I can read the packaging. (But I don’t think many manufacturers miss my business…)

Wake up people. The manufacturers print small for anything they don’t want you to know! Because they are the only stakeholders who get any sort of traction with the regulators, and because the regulators are more concerned with the claims of commercial needs of the corporations than they are with the rights of ordinary consumers to be informed, the buy rubbish lines like “there isn’t room on the packaging”. We, the consumers, are ignored! It is long past time that the principle should be that if there is a shortage of space on the package then the manufacturer should reduce the size of their logo or the pretty marketing pictures (see “serving suggestion”) in favour of real information designed to inform rather than marketing information designed to deceive.

4 Likes

Even with my glasses on I find it increasingly difficult to read preparation instructions for some food items. Especially when one variety says add 1/3 of a teaspoon of butter and another variety says to add 1/4 in print that would make subscript look like large print by comparison.

One thing that really bugs me is shampoo and conditioner bottles. I know that usually one has the label upside down, but seriously, no one wears their glasses in the shower, so what hope have I got of being able to read the small print on the bottle that actually says if it’s either shampoo or conditioner? A giant S or C on the things would help. It’s hard enough figuring out which label is right way up with my glasses off.

1 Like

In most cases, the object is to ensure that the information can’t be read - particularly disclaimers and ingredient lists. If you could read them, you wouldn’t buy the product.

2 Likes

Because there are so many manufacturers creating the very small print, perhaps it would be easier to request that grocery stores have magnifying glasses available? For instance, attach one magnifying panel in each aisle. For those who struggle to read the print (like me!) and really want to know the contents, it could be worth the effort taking the item to the magnifying glass to read it.

2 Likes

Approx 25 years ago I used to work for a large food manufacturer in their Marketing department. One of my jobs was to ensure that black & white pack shots of ingredients lists, bar codes etc were the correct size and colour and met with regulations before sending off for outside approval. I don’t recall who the regulator was but there were requirements that had to be met. Do they still exist? Also, many of the products that I’ve had problems with have been overseas products. I have seen type size and colours which are not easily readable on many products these days.

2 Likes

I bought 4 packets of Mr Chen’s Dumplings products from Coles when they were on special for half price a week ago.

At the time, I checked the packaging for the country of origin and saw that it was Vietnam, but despite never buying food products from China and Vietnam, I decided to give them a try.

After we ate the first packet of them, I again tried to find the country of origin but could not see it, even after putting my reading glasses on.

I tried again to find it later in the day and finally spotted “Product of Vietnam” in very small print in the top right corner on the side panel.

It is in stark contrast to the words “Handmade’, “Family Business” and “Australian Owned” prominently displayed on the rear panel which could convey the impression that the product was locally made.

At least they were absolutely delicious.

1 Like

Does not pass any “pub test” or does it?

Perhaps Mr Chen is an Aussie who owns a factory in Vietnam that makes frozen food products?

Perhaps some unmentioned Aussie owns the trade mark “Mr Chen’s”? Who knows who he buys from in Vietnam?

More likely the ACCC is drinking in the wrong pub? :face_with_monocle:

It comes back to a very simple proposition. It should take no more than the simple post from @Fred123 to be reliably handed to the Australian Consumer police Sargent in Cairns. :male_detective:t5:‍♀️The next day with warrant in hand Coles and the supplier should both be charged with an offence and be facing a massive fine for misleading and deceptive packaging, plus an order to remove all product from shelving.

Feel free to say why this is naive and unrealistic. If it could be that simple perhaps there would be no need for such a service? I’m all for Choice providing such a service, but how do you get the revenue stream from fines back into Choice to help pay for the service?

More cynicism - perhaps another term of the LNP will be good. Privatise the ACCC and let Choice buy it!

3 Likes

Is this grower saving on ink?
or
is there some other reason for the impossible to read fine print which identifies the growing region?

The grower is Kabir Farms, North Gregory.
That’s between Childers and Bunderberg Qld.

On sale at IGA in the Glass House Mountains. Also a notable strawberry growing region.

‘Coals to Newcastle’? :thinking:
But - Winter is late arriving this year.

Rating of this batch of berries. Small to medium sized dark even red appearance, firm, a little crisp, mild flavour, slightly acid. Need ice cream.

What do farmers see in a strawberry?
Appearance, colour, yield, disease resistance, early/late cropping, and oh yes flavour. Better tasting might be good too.

Yes, all strawberries are not all the same.

I’m no strawberry expert. I just eat them! :wink:

5 Likes