'Print and Complete' PDF Forms

One design that always annoys me is banks, insurers, super providers etc. that give you forms to ā€˜Print and Complete.ā€™ Most of us these days have the ability to just complete it digitally. PDFs can be turned into fillable forms you can type into. And if signatures or drawings are required, a lot of us have tablets. For those who donā€™t they can still be printed.

Wouldnā€™t digital forms make paperwork much easier? (And save some paper in the process)

9 Likes

Most organizations I have dealt with recently use editable PDFs with the fields to be filled in highlighted. For signature I have a scanned copy that is sized and pasted in.
No problems at all.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

I find it extremely annoying when I have to print out, fill in, and then scan a PDF document instead of simply completing it online.

Even if a signature is required, it is still much more convenient to complete it online before printing, signing and scanning a document, especially with my hand writing.

4 Likes

There remain more than a handful of institutions that have not moved into the modern world in the mistaken goal of the security of the forms contents and wording. They have non-editable, non-fillable forms they for some reason think are secure.

When I have to use one I start with ā€˜print to pdfā€™ and voila, editable but not fillable, and my trusty pdf editor allows me to fill in and is smart enough to recognise boundaries, making it very easy. Insert a signature? Have some specimens in jpg? No worries.

Security? Just customer abusive policies :expressionless:

5 Likes

Phil, can I ask what is your ā€œtrusty pdf editorā€?

There are digital signatures which can be used and from what we have found are a legal form of a signature.

In effect, one can avoid a printed copy.

I am not Phil but we use PDF24 and the Microsoft Save as PDF (under printers in Windows 10) for simple PDFing documents.

We also use Adobe Reader as the principal pdf reader.

This website has a review of 31 pdf packagesā€¦paid and free versions

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thinkmobiles.com/products/pdf-editor/amp/

5 Likes

@Almac, I just use the freely available and free Adobe Acrobat PDF viewer which allows you to annotate or insert text into open fields in PDF documents.
I donā€™t think I have ever encountered a PDF form, meant to be filled out, that basic Acrobat viewer had issues with.
In case you donā€™t know, Adobe is the originator of the PDF document format.

4 Likes

I first bought NitroPro around 2009 for work, when there were not many choices and just stuck with it. I upgraded every 2 years and currently use 10 but see no reason to upgrade again, so far.

There are also lots of reviews that donā€™t give Nitro a nod in 2021, and most reviews point to many lower cost and free ones.

In contrast to most home users I occasionally need to use a few of the more advanced features. I have yet to meet with a form I have not been able turn into a 100% digital experience.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll take that further that I am aware of at least one form nothing but Adobe or a commercial quality editor can fill in! Most open it and display an advertisement for Adobe. It is from the US government, not to be ignored :frowning: For those not ā€˜on boardā€™ paper submissions are not accepted and the ā€˜trickā€™ to print to pdf and then edit over it is not recognised by the automated upload/filing system and gets rejected.

FWIW NitroPDF and some ā€˜properā€™ editors will fill it in but not edit it. Viewers mostly wonā€™t even display it and show

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to use more fillable pdfs, but Iā€™ve noticed that the font in the fillable fields in many of these forms is way too small. So I print, complete, scan and send.

4 Likes

Another consideration is that many SMEs who use these forms do not have IT staff, and even producing the basic form taxes their abilities to the max; never mind adding fillable, tickable, scrollable, or editable fields.

4 Likes