Prices gone up - some of us are only on a pension

My Husband Just passed away in November, and I found I miss him more as things break down that I can not do like putting up the fire alarms and a new thermostat and I have no idea how to do it as he has done everything like that around the home And you ring someone they want an over 100.00 just to put one in. I had a fan switch go I had spare ones here because hubby kept things like that and I ask an electrician how much to just hook up two wire, and he said 120.00 every thing cost just to keep your home going. And to live as well, and insurance for home and insurance for car and pet and funeral as well. I do not go out for Dinner or eat out I do not smoke and do not drink at all, and yet it is still a struggle.

3 Likes

I am sorry for your loss of your Husband.

If you are a pension or an older Australian over 65 (or if ATSI 50 years of age) you may be able to access the support of MyAged Care for financial support to maintain independent living, examples may be a support package that has amounts for home maintenance tasks. Some Local Councils, State and Territory Governments provide support services where they subsidise the cost of essential and safety home services such as plumbing, electrical, battery replacement in fire and Carbon Monoxide monitors, lawn mowing, house cleaning and small carpentry jobs. Things like support rails in bathrooms and similar are also covered.

So start with your State/Territory Government to see what support they are aware of. If seeking the Aged Care assistance you can go online at Access Australian aged care information and services | My Aged Care to undertake an online assessment of whether they can provide assistance or phone them on 1800200422 during normal weekday times except public holidays and weekends.

Please donā€™t continue to struggle as there is support for you out there.

4 Likes

Iā€™m finding really simple things hard to find assistance with, and if I do, costly. ie Iā€™m caring for my 79 year old Mum, and Iā€™m in late 50ā€™s. Not strong enough to lug a broken microwave to my car to even take somewhere to repair/scrap it. I just went thru the joyous experience of phoning a handyman type franchise to help lift a storage unit for Mum. Accepted my query but didnā€™t call. So I called him & left a message. Still didnā€™t return call. So I left a msg with the removalist that did Mumā€™s initial move to my place-didnā€™t respond. Called another removalist-didnā€™t respond. Finally got another removalist type fella who came with his son. Did the job-had to pay $50. A lot for literally 3 minutes work. I do appreciate they had travelling time also.
But there is a real lack of a simple ā€˜helpā€™ service, reasonably priced for pensioners. Iā€™m not playing the weak female card, but Iā€™m just not able to lift or carry stuff like I could even 10 years ago. I am a single only child, no kids, donā€™t know any youngish people that can help, & donā€™t want to impose on my friendā€™s husbands, then they hurt themselves and are unable to work in their own self-employed jobs.

6 Likes

& @Shazz
There are some services that provide free handyman assistance to seniors and pensioners. Have a look at these search results to see if someone does it in your area.

3 Likes

If you are on Facebook, have a look for your local Community Notice Board. Our little town of 400 post requests for help, requests for recommendations and offers of help (along with lost & found dogs, cattle, road closures, events, things for sale, give away etc). I am not on FB but can look at it without a log-in and find it helpful.

2 Likes

Please consider yourself very lucky to have a doctor that will come to you. We could not find a GP that would come out to our home, so we had to rely on the after hours doctor services.

The after hours service sent a different doctor each time so they had no real idea of the history and complexity of the patient. They relied on the information you provided then and there. Some were very good, and others just wanted to provide a quick fix solution so they could move on to their next patient. Fortunately they all passed information back to our GP.

3 Likes

Most of those hits are from the USA, then from the UK. Locally there seem a few that act as intermediaries rather than providers unless there is a payment.

Another good search is ā€˜Community Services Directory [your area]ā€™ and scan the hits.

Among others that might be identified, try your Menā€™s Shed, Lions, or similar local organisations.

There are some ā€˜matchmakingā€™ sites that ā€˜advertiseā€™ connecting volunteers but they are often limited to helping community organisations find volunteers, not connecting individuals needing help, which is left for the community organisations.

3 Likes

Thank you. I have edited so the search is refined and limited to Australian results

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t referring to home visits-maybe I should have said clinic consultations.

1 Like

This recent post I made is also relevant to this thread as well.

While the savings are modest, especially if you regularly shop at the retailer which offer discounted eGift cards - every bit helps.

1 Like

Please see my post just above yourā€™s

Your mother will be eligible for a MyAged care package and there may be Local Govt and or State assistance in your location.

Another contact possibility is the Salvation Army, your local St Vincent de Paul society, or a similar Church organisation or Community one (eg Lions, Leo Clubs - Lions Clubs Australia, Rotary).

3 Likes

I agree Shazz. I have been looking for someone to help me with a glass cabinet. I need to put some legs on it and the door. I am more than capable of drilling holes for the legs and screwing in the screws. What I canā€™t do is move the cabinet by myself - itā€™s glass and heavy. The help I need a teenager could do. However, not knowing any, means, like you, I am at the mercy of so-called help sites like Airtasker. The job I need to do will take less than half an hour yet people want upwards of $80-$100 just to help me move the cabinet, hold it in place whilst I put the legs and door on then help me stand it up and put it back in place.

There is nowhere to go for these types of small jobs.

2 Likes

I agree Cherieanne, the charges for an electrician are outrageous. The last time I needed one - to replace a ceiling fan - charged me far more than the fan cost and took him all of 10 minutes to do. He left $150 richer and I was left with bits of wires all over the floor, the old fan and a mess to clean up!

3 Likes

I went up and read on what can go wrong with your electric water heater thermostat or a reset button if not getting hot, so I went on YouTube a bam there it was how to check your thermostat, so it showed me where the reset button was, and I went out uncrewed it and press it and Wow couple minutes latter my water was getting hot. So I saved my self a few dollars.

2 Likes

Itā€™d good to hear you have hot water back.
Hopefully the YouTube also explained the purpose of the button and why it might have tripped.
Itā€™s more likely to indicate a pending fault than to have been a random event.
The saving deferred wisdom would suggest putting a few dollars aside just in case.

4 Likes

The 5.1% CPI increase over 12 months was more than anticipated. ā€˜Non-discretionaryā€™ expenditure costs increased 3% for the quarter and 6.6% over 12 months. Closer to lived reality?

Follow the link for further details.
ā€˜Consumer Price Index, Australia, March 2022 | Australian Bureau of Statistics

The Selected Living Cost Indexes (SLCIs) for the corresponding quarter are due for release on 4th May.

Just sent to Woollies and the toilet paper we buy (iCare double length 6 pack) has just gone up from $6.50 to $7.90, an increase of 21.5%.

Speaking to one if our neighbours, they said their favourite toilet paper has also just jumped substantially. Looks like toilet paper prices are on the rise.

Maybe those who hoarded 1000s of rolls during the early days of Covid might end up having the last laugh.

1 Like