Portable Ice Making Machine

It would be interesting and useful to consumers to read the test results for the large number of Portable Ice Making machines that now exist. I am aware of many features that they offer. They are a device that we may not only see more of in our homes, but also in Motorhomes, Caravans, Boats etc.
Personally speaking, I want one that is small and efficient in both production time and power usage. If they can be powered both AC and/or DC that could be useful to many.
Hope this can be considered sometime soon - given the enormous interest in Recreation vehicles that currently exists as a result of there COVID19 virus.
There are lots of YouTube reviews - here’s one - but I would like to see Choice do a more detailed one.

6 Likes

Interesting. Why do the machines listed as portable require 230V mains power?

Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place. Do you have any examples of brands and models?

What purpose is the ice intended for? EG human consumption or keeping the bait and drinks cold.

Typically fresh ice is produced wet, hence just barely frozen. Commercially made ice goes from the harvested product to deep freeze to harden.

It’s worth clarifying whether these machines also chill or harden the ice to a suitable temperature. 15-25 degrees C below freezing might be good.

Even the smallest machines look to consume more electricity than the average fridge. How many energy stars?

3 Likes

Like the low star ratings of domestic freezers?

1 Like

They usually generate ice much faster than a fridge/freezer and have less insulation because of their form factors, so a tradeoff in power consumption versus performance would not be surprising. Sometimes when one needs to get a ‘job’ done other aspects are less important than others, such as making ice quickly.

It is a convenience to have a unit on the countertop that makes ice on demand. I suggest over analysing is not productive when a google reveals that portable and countertop ice makers are a product category. They can be very attractive to consumers who have fridges but no plumbing and manual ice makers. If Choice were to test this product category the temperatures and production rates would be expected metrics.

A family member in the US has had countertop ice makers for years to augment their fridge’s capability, and recently installed a dedicated under counter model. They live in SE Georgia, a hot place most of the year, and ice in drinks is the norm for a family of 5 + regular guests.

4 Likes