Portable air conditioner reviews

Are Choice intending on adding to their Portable Air Conditioners tested soon? Last year you had Olimpia Splendid models, but not so far this time. According to their website, and stock at retailers, there are a number of newer models - Airpro 12, 13, 14 with (or without?) WIFI, Silent 10, Procool 16, etc.

I realise you can’t cover every model of every brand, but the PIU16 last time was a recommended model, with low power consumption too, so they may be of interest to many people…

I find the definition of “ cooling “ very confusing. What does AEER mean. Is it just an efficiency score. I really want to know how well an air conditioner cools a room not how efficient it is. Surely the dual intake- outlet systems are better at cooling a room. No mention is made of this in the review or the review process

Yes,

EER is the Energy Efficiency Ratio for cooling, the higher the better. COP (Coefficient of Performance) is the energy efficiency ratio measurement when in heating mode. The higher the better and typically slightly greater than the EER for the same machine.

2 Likes

Bumping this topic as we have updated our portable aircon review for 2022. Here are the ones we think are best avoided:

And the quietest:

1 Like