Pokies 'Cash Out Ticket' less than 5c

I have not been to pokies a long time it seems.
I didn’t realise the machines do take coins but no longer return coins; you must use an in-store machine with an IOU.

It seems odd to me that when cash out on a pokies machine for $20.24c you get a piece of paper IOU ‘Cash out Ticket’ for the value of $20, 24c
Honestly i though i expected the 20x $1 coins and the 24c stay in machine to continue waste it.

The cash out machine diligently returns a new $20 lobster 4x5c piece and a new paper IOU of 4c

How often does this partial tender 1-4c occur?
why does it not round 4c up to 5c like legal tender?
machine only transactions staff also cannot take and exchange for legal tender?
why can you not retain partial either 24c or 4c in the gambling machine at the start or return 4c to a gambling machine?

I’m not complaining the 4c was inevitable loss, but why the behaviour

2 Likes

Because it is legal to do so.

Every supermarket has products which includes prices ending in 1-4 or 6-9. Likewise with petrol stations - they even go one further and have pricing in decimals (and also includes electricity retailers). The list or examples goes on.

The ACCC also has some information about rounding transactions when the totals aren’t in amounts of currency denominations:

The $0.24 in your case should have been rounded up to $0.25 in accordance with the ACCC information.

1 Like

My outcome though the computer dispensary at the Licensed venue does not doo this rounding
instead prints an IOU receipt for <5c instead of rounding.

the <5c IOU cannot be claimed at the venue because it is not staffed.
Even if there is a method to redeem it does seem unnecessary , when rounding should occur.