Plastic Wrapped Vegetables in the supermarket

Great Idea! Thank you!

2 Likes

Here’s some new technology aiming to solve the issue of plastic wrap on veggies:

7 Likes

Yes and Oh No!

I’m happy to have them displayed loose and or a paper bag or as @phb has reusable open mesh cloth bags. Our local F&V does paper bags as needed. It was also using the cellulose based bio plastic bags.

Supermarkets shrink wrapping F&V will only end when it is the only way they service customers needs. You can’t smell or feel the produce under the wrapping. It makes no difference whether it is petroleum based cling film or a bio sourced product.

There is also no choice of product size or quantity. I have memories of my original first time in an Aldi store. All the F&V were prepackaged and the range was very limited. Product sold purely on appearance!

No plastic of any kind please.

7 Likes

Have you seen your supermarket selling organic fruit and vegetable on a polystyrene plate, wrapped in plastic? Does your blood boil at the lunacy of this practice and what about other packaging. the size of crisp packets of all labels twice what the contents is vacuum sealed but it can be achieved with less waste. How observant are you and how far into this topic have you engaged?

2 Likes

I concur. Ingenious.

4 Likes

On a more mundane pattern, most grocers have 1 kg smallish apples that have long been packaged in plastic baskets in plastic wrap. For a few weeks Woolies had cardboard baskets in plastic but their supply reverted to plastic in plastic. Last week I noticed Coles seems to have dispensed with the baskets and packages the apples in plastic bags sans basket. I wonder what it will be next week?

The bags are all apparently recyclable. I guess this is progress?

2 Likes