Jumping in to this thread to say that I was appalled at the amount of plastic packaging used on the plane no a recent long haul adventure. We flew three airlines (Etihad, Air France and China Southern), but because they all get their catering from the same places they're all as bad as each other when it comes to packaging, including:
- plastic lids on the side salads
- glad wrapped crackers (I had a GF meal)
- plastic sealed back for cutlery
- plastic cutlery (non reusable)
- plastic cups for tea/coffee, even when the tray had a reusable coffee cup on it
- and plastic casing for the main meal which I saw was thrown out and not reused
I remember flying when I was younger and there was always metal cutlery, no plastic lids on desserts, using the coffee cups on the tray. It felt so wasteful.