Plant Theives

An article regarding grubs stealing plants from public and private gardens.

When my sister’s husband planted some standard roses in their front garden in Melbourne, he affixed an old fashioned style metal dog chain to each one, which was concealed by the mulch, as he had heard that someone in a nearby suburb had planted similar roses in their front yard, and when thay returned from storing the garden tools in the shed, the roses were alredy gone.

When the new Cairns railway station was being landscaed in the 1990’s, the landscaping contractor had to have an employee guard their truck as grubs were stealing the potted plants out of it before they could be planted in the gardens.

1 Like

Another article regarding plant theives.

This is what Brisbane City Council does as a deterrent…

I didn’t know that Data Dots was still around. I bought some in a bottle with a brush applicator about 15 years ago. I wonder how long they would stay attached to plants.

2 Likes

I don’t have a source but I suspect out in the wind and rain with the plant swaying and growing not very long. A positive test would be conclusive but a negative would mean very little.

2 Likes

They only need to last until the plant establishes and sends out new roots to lock it into the surrounding ground, to make it harder for the plants to be removedl

1 Like

I’ve had plants (planted in the garden - not in pots) stolen. And hose plus hose reel.
What can you do? I have no idea who did it. It’s not as if the police are in a position to do anything about it. I can’t prove they’re mine.

While I was angry that it had happened, what I find worse is when people just knock flowers off and leave them lying there.

2 Likes

We used (about 15 years ago) to have people picking flowers near our front boundary…and taking them (we assume) home to enjoy. We ended up placing a note on the front fence saying something like 'please do not pick the flowers as we have planted them not only for our enjoyment, but everyone else who walks by. If you would like a flower, please ask before picking, otherwise it is stealing’.

The picking ceased almost immediately and we were able to remove the insightly sign a few months later.

2 Likes

A dummy camera (Jaycar or on line), or if you can afford one an external home security cam might offer some deterrence. One of our near neighbours at a previous address had some issues with intruders in the yard and out front. Their real camera was effective, and made a difference to the whole of the street, as it tended to also pick up any unusual behaviours or strangers.

Those intent on the crime can wear hoodies etc. Not knowing if their behaviour has been reported becomes a greater risk, and hence deterrent.

There is a Choice review on home security cameras.

1 Like

I caught someone in the act of helping themself. I called out “excuse me!” and she went all embarrassed and apologetic. “Oh sorry!” pfft - sorry. Only sorry because she was caught.

3 Likes

An article regarding grubs stealing from roadside food stalls.

“I went out to check the stall on a recent Sunday and all the cucumbers I’d put out were gone and there was no money in the box,” Ms Smith said.

They had probably taken the money from the honesty box as well as the produce.

A few years ago, I read an article about a teenage girl who used to collect horse manure with her grandfather to sell at their roadside stall, but much to theit disgust, some grub/s had stolen it all.