Pillow testing survey

Neither do I :wink:

I don’t know how European goose down is harvested, but I understand that in China the birds are plucked and put back in the cage to grow some more, which I find problematic. Is it better to be killed, or to live another day with your down repeatedly pulled out?

2 Likes

An difficult challenge for Choice testers?

Sustainable down production vs humane treatment of animals.

How would Choice testers rate each down product, or know the facts reliably for each product. Didn’t UniQlo and others come in for criticism for how the filling in their “puffer” jackets was sourced?

Potentially - at the moment we’re looking at a sped up compression test to see how a pillow retains its shape over time (endurance test). Our Lab Mgr has a few ideas.

3 Likes

A bowling ball picked up and replaced in cycles?

1 Like

I am totally dependant on my particular pillow to get to sleep so I travel with it always squashed into my bag. It is a combo half feather and down. I have a couple of pillows going at the same time. When needing to replace - which is a real drama for me- I take my favourite pillow in to the store - Myers or DJs - plus a clean pillow case - and test by lying on one of the beds nearby.

1 Like

Any options to assess stability of the filling over time, accelerated ageing tests? Loss of elasticises and absorption of moisture.

Of course the suggested testing of resilience is only useful for pillows that are made from a resilient material, eg foam rubbers. Would choice qualify the test results? Testing and any subjective assessment is not necessarily establishing the best pillow to sleep on. Is the result likely only a guide to product durability within the types of pillows tested?

Synthetic fibre, feather/down, and other types of loose filled pillows are subject to daily fluffing. Is there a test being considered to assess how they retain their volume, ability to refluff with use?

1 Like

Hey thanks for this insight! I hadn’t thought of taking my own pillow in to compare. Do they let you try the pillows without the plastic bag though? My recollection is that they didn’t, and that the pillows are sealed in a noisy, tight bag that doesn’t really allow you to test it properly. Maybe it was just the particular store I went to.

1 Like

There are millions of women (and a few men) who live like this in the name of fashion and they seem to chose life and pain. Perhaps this could be a topic for another Choice survey.

There was a time when enemy spies had hot wax applied to their tender parts to make them talk. Do the victims in beauty parlours reveal anything of interest? Is it the truth or will they say anything to make it stop?

2 Likes

My pillows are always so expensive I can’t risk not being reasonably sure. It only takes a few minutes for you to have a good idea of how comfy new pillow will be. They are usually in a zipped plastic bag and I have asked a staff member. I have also suggested to slip on one of their new pillow cases that are on display with other Manchester on a bed. That way their pillow can go on first and my pillow case on top of that. I would also be happy to buy el cheapo single pillow case still in packet to show staff member to ensure absolute hygiene.

1 Like

Clever! Thanks again for the tips. I’ll definitely follow up on this.

1 Like

Noticed Aldi has duck feather pillows on for sale either Wednesday or next Sat. going to get some and try them. I’ve had feather pillows in the past but that was when I could lay flat for sleeping… might be OK to try out, and not too costly.

Here we go, this Wednesday. Must not forget.
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-12-february/wednesday-detail-wk07/ps/p/duck-feather-pillow-2-pack-4/

2 Likes

FYI, they are very nice. A little too full, but they will flatten sooner or later. At $20 for a 2-pack, bargain.

1 Like

My wife used to describe my sleeping style as “rotisserie”, resulting in torturing the pillows. An ideal Choice pillow tester. Pillows rotate through various angles to the best comfort position during the night. By contrast, my wife’s pillow seems glued in position.
I used to sleep ~40% stomach, 40% back & 20% side. I made an effort several years ago to sleep better resulting in that changing to ~5% stomach, 15% back & 80% side.

Although there are foam pillows profile shaped for different sleeping positions, I’m yet to find one that really works.

Usually I have two pillows. #1 is a thin fibre filled pillow & current #2 is quite high density memory foam which was quite expensive. Both several years old. For a long time #2 was latex foam. Still a fan if you get the right height and density.
Recently bought #3, a higher low density memory foam with thin fibre quilt outer. Less than half the weight of #2.

The extra plump makes the new one #3 feel more luxurious as you sink in. However, static on the pillow, it doesn’t feel much different to #2 - particularly on my back. Side sleeping the higher #3 has the edge. I often use two pillows when on my side, in italic ‘T’ position.

&
My wife thinks I buy too many pillows & judging by my friends, it is perhaps more of a male thing.
Feathers? Not for me - too hard to get right for the night.
Asian hotels often have grain like filling. Meant to be a health thing, but I found them like sleeping on a sack of ball bearings. Another fail for me.

4 Likes

Thanks Dan, this matches up with the information I had as well (CR pillow testing back in June).

1 Like

Recently purchased a pillow cover from Aldi, it does keep the temperature down but I do rotate it during the night.

I had a grain filled one years ago, it was comfortable then but now?

1 Like

Well the feather pillows I bought are decent, they just arent right for me. I’ll have to bequeath them to someone else. I’ve been looking at both Koala and Ecosa for pillows. Both priced around the same at $150 but they appeal because you can remove layers to make them shorter (I have a short neck and half my issues are around lack of neck support)… I’ll probably keep mizzling about it for another year.

1 Like

thank you for adding to my vocabulary

1 Like

Lol! Its a neologism created by an aunt. Originally was based on “misled” but later expanded to all kinds of uses. My aunt used to do it with lots of words :slight_smile:

2 Likes