Pharmacy supplier to aged care overcharging.

Welcome to the Community @Felix1

Your experience should interest many readers. While there are some related topics I am going to keep yours separate as it is a different aspect of the many issues surrounding aged care.

What was the aged care facility’s response? I presume they are at liberty to contract medicines from whatever provider they wish, or at least that is how it was prior to the current system being implemented.

That is the norm and from an operational matter is usually close to but rarely optimal. It avoids meds being missed/out due to human error. Most facilities get a prepack for ‘Mr.X’ in a pack including everything needed in a daily morning, noon, and night blister pack, rather than say a box of Y, another box of Z, and yet more, each individually packaged with varied doses. There is often (usually) a charge for that service. For low cost meds it might seem a significant ‘add-on’ cost.

Are you meaning generic meds and brand name meds or does he require meds not on the PBS list, or has he been prescribed non-PBS meds when there are suitable PBS meds?

My understanding is that if a GP ticks ‘write as prescribed/no substitution’ the dispensing pharmacist is not able to provide a generic or alternative regardless of customer wishes. When there is face-to-face interaction with a customer that would be explained so the customer could deal with the GP. When a facility does the ordering they order per the GP script. Good practice should, as you indicate, call your attention for followup, but that is on the facility not on just on the pharmacy since the facility was doing the ordering.

The best any business would do is improve their processes; I doubt any pharmacy could guarantee ‘it’ would not happen again if only because humans are in the process.

That being written, thank you for flagging your experience. Hopefully it will get visibility and others having similar responsibilities (or letting the facilities operate opaquely under their trust) might take a look and see what is happening re their loved one’s care.

1 Like