Fuel price issues

I think the reality is that the petrol is purchased only from a couple of or perhaps a select few suppliers. What then happens is that the supply is very controlled re pricing and any discounting is only at a level of a few cents at most per litre. I think then it is whether the retail outlet wears a lesser income stream by further cutting their margins. I agree that it is price fixing but our Govt has locked us into Singapore price parity anyway so we have a price structure that is driven by foreign values on the price.

As we do not supply a huge amount of our own “home grown” product I am not sure how much price can be influenced outside of that political setting. Nor does any Govt of State or Federal persuasion want to cut the GST income that a higher price of petrol generates for them, they certainly will say they want to do something but reality strongly suggests the opposite of those “assertions”.

4 Likes

An interesting article regarding petrol particulate filters.

So not only is our petrol overpriced, but it is so low quality that the filters cannot be used in Australia.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Electric and Alternative Vehicle Fuels

An article regarding petrol prices in Australia after a decline in global oil prices.

Someone must have neglected to pass the news on to FNQ as the cheapest petrol in Cairns is for U91 at the United servos. A mere 146.9 cents per litre.

2 Likes

Ah Cairns, topical one day, tropical the next!

I sometimes think @Fred123 and I can struggle with our understanding given some simple facts.
40% of Australians (10M approx) live in Sydney and Melb.
Not quite 60% of Australians live in NSW, Vic and the ACT.

And despite 30% of the current LNP government members coming from Qld, mostly from regional electorates, FNQ will again be left to languish in the sun for another three years.

Who remembers WW2 and the Brisbane Line?
In which cities are the headquarters of Australia’s three largest political parties located?

Fortunately Cairns, Townsville, Darwin etc are also closer to the Singapore supply of much of our petroleum fuel, and potentially most profitable for the importers?

Is there logic here, or do we need to join the dots?

P.s.
Cairns is a great place to live, although it can get a little wet, windy and warm in summer.

2 Likes

The ABC not reporting the right information again. Australia’s bulk oil is based on TAPIS and not Nymex.

They also go on to say that…“That means the prices of Nymex, WTI and Brent crude, which help determine the price Australian motorists pay at the pump, have fallen more than 20 per cent since late April.”. It would if Australia was tbe 52nd state of fhe USA, but fortunateky we aren’t.

This website outlined the affect of Tapis on Australian unleaded fuel prices…

https://bulkfuel.com.au/news/the-singapore-benchmark-how-australia-prices-fuel

It is also worth noting that Tapis has also fallen in the recent month and will eventually flow through to the petrol pump price…

https://www.aip.com.au/pricing/international-prices/international-market-watch

2 Likes

Yesterday I noticed that all the servos including Coles Express that I drove past had U91 at 137.9 cents per litre on the price boards.

As we had a FlyBuys offer for 6 cents per litre discount, I grabbed a Coles fuel docket and went to the local Coles Express today after checking that all the prices were still 137.9 cents per litre, so I ended up paying 127.9 cents per litre.

Despite all the local rogues now fixing their prices to the same as United, there was no other vehicle at the bowsers when I pulled up although 2 others pulled up before I departed.

Perhaps Coles Express has finally woken up to the fact that having the highest prices in town does not generate much profit if no one is buying, but dropping their prices now is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

An article regarding Australia’s woefully inadequate reserves of fuel and the Federal Government’s failure to address this critical issue.

Perhaps they are dreaming that we will all have electric or hydrogen powered vehicles before a crisis occurs.

Might be a good time to open a bike shop.

Great news folks.

The useless ACCC has determined that the weak Australian Dollar is the sole reason our fuel prices are so high.

Collusion? Price gouging? Anti-competitive cartel behaviour?

Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

1 Like

I just got a “member benefit” notification from NRMA. Up to 7c/litre off premium Caltex fuels for the month of September.

So, checking my local prices I see that the Caltex has 98RON at $1.869/litre, and the very close-by BP is $1.679. The 7-Eleven which is about 400m further is $1.449.

One would have to be a big fan of Caltex to take them up on this “benefit” !

6 Likes

But how many will get sucked in? You have the knowledge and do your checks but I suspect there is a large group who see a “bargain”/“benefit” and jump at it, much to their financial detriment. Same goes for those electricity plan discounts that once the kwh & daily rates are taken into account are worse than than just going with a standard no discount plan. Basically they are baiting a hook just to lure unsuspecting consumers in, very smelly bait by the sounds of it.

4 Likes

20+% Petrol Price Rise?
Sunshine Coast! (18 Sept 2019).

$1.659/l for regular 91 at 7-eleven and BP Kawana.

It’s $1.389/l before discount Woolies in Beerwah.

And was $1.329 at the Glass House Mtns Puma pre discount.

Qld School holidays kick of this weekend too!

2 Likes

NSW Newcastle western suburbs… about normal for this end of the week. Earlier in the week they went up over $1.60 even for E10 at a time when the full effect of the Saudi oil fires could not possibly have been felt.

4 Likes

1.68 to 1.78 for premium 95 here all the time - can’t buy normal 91 or E. Diesel in the 1.60 to 1.70 range.

2 Likes

Good to know there is an option if it goes up any further over here?

It will be interesting to know if prices out your way also spike due supposedly to the recent oil price rises, and by how much. The ABC report had one expert saying it would only be 8c/l or less.

Although the ACCC fuel cycle tracking doesn’t seem to agree?

Perhaps I’m wrong to assume that the fuel price movements in Brisbane are relevant 75km north, or the ACCC has any interests outside the capitals?

2 Likes

Perhaps we have more than just the price of petrol to worry about?

Well short of the strategic reserve of 90 days of net imports to be held in country.

Would holding a strategic reserve, which Australia does not have, also serve to buffer consumers from the wild roller coaster ride that are bowser fuel prices?

The more threatening situation is 75% of our fuel is consumed by transport services. Not having petrol or diesel for personal transport seems like a minor inconvenience in comparison.

1 Like

Today at Costco in Ipswich the price of Premium 98 was $1.417 per litre, E10 Unleaded was around $1.267 per litre and their diesel was $1.347 per litre. Price closer to our home at a Caltex was $1.439 per litre for E10 so 98 was likely around $1.68 per litre.

1 Like

It seems at times fuel pricing suggests more than just gouging. Lack of competition, perhaps. But, just how many outlets do you need before there is competition?

This morning PetrolSpy reveals all 11 outlets servicing Noosa - Tewantin are $1.599 or $1.597.

Some might suggest Noosa residents and visitors can afford the premium, with Brisbane -Ipswich at $1.399 or 20c cheaper. A 45 minute drive south to Caloundra will currently save 10c/l.

The ACCC has previously responded to government that it has no ability to control fuel prices, and consumers should shop around.

It seems all too easy to find examples where a geographically significant group of fuel outlets are all in alignment.

The ACT government noted something similar for Canberra prices earlier this year.

Apparently not a problem if you use a tax payer sponsored ComCar. :rage:

2 Likes

Australia’s failure to have even reasonable, let alone adequate, fuel reserves is absolutely disgraceful.

The country is at serious risk of grinding to a halt and the governmnet would see their lucrative fuel excise revenue suddenly dry up.

Those EV’s are starting to look really good.

1 Like

What happens if li-ion battery exports to Australia is halted or world production ceases (e.g. in the case of a war)…what happens if…the media is about creating fear …

At least Australia has abundant supply of gas which could be used as a substitute should there be a problem…would require vehicle conversions though. Potentially could use biofuels from oil seed production for essential service diesel use.