Personal Alarms

The main reason we bought the LiveLife alarm for our mother was that we could call her on the pendant and she didn’t have to deal with a phone given her dementia.

2 Likes

The dates 3G services will be discontinued varies between Telco and locality.
Considering Telstra this appears to be June 2024. Optus has made no closure announcement.
Perhaps Choice should place a note against the reviews re devices that are limited to 3G. Is it likely they will soon be replaced with 4G enabled versions? In the interim it appears 3G devices remain useable for some time. Longer than the retailer is suggesting.

Two sources.
Australian 3G Network Shutdown: Everything you need to know | WhistleOut
3G closure - what do I need to know? - Telstra

It’s understandable that retailers will be moving to selling 4G +VoLTE devices. As a short note my iPhone connects more reliably to 3G than 4G. It’s still supported by Apple, possibly to 2024? There’s no need to rush.:wink:

1 Like

Good point - well made. Thanks for research and clarifying.

1 Like

@philt posted this link in this thread back in May 2020, but I’ll repeat it here as it mentions the issues re 3G.

3 Likes

Very disappointed in Rosie by Vitalcare personal alarms. This personal alarm system has been set up for a person that I am their immediate contact. Rosie by Vitalcare WILL NOT SHARE in the case a personal alarm watches the direct telephone number. It seems to me that they are the Gestapo of this number. I will be looking for another monitored service that does allow for the next of kin to be able to call the device.

Hi folks,

Have you purchased a personal alarm for yourself, an older relative or as a carer for someone else?

We’ve know about several issues with the devices, including inaccurate location data, alarms not activating when required, multiple false alarms and features not working inside buildings or on public transport. We’re working on a new story about these issues and would like to hear your experience.

Leave a comment or send a DM if you have some experience with personal alarms.

I notice in your Personal Alarms article you give the impression that it is IP67 devices that are not immersion in water proof. It is the IP66 or IP6<7 codes that are not immersion proof. Agreed that these devices are poorly designed, can be unreliable and are very difficult for the carer to set up if they are not very familiar with technology and mobile phone and GPS systems in particular. We have had one false alarm triggered by the device missing the docking cradle and falling.

1 Like

A new member who works in the sector made this comment

I remain happy with my Apple Watch. I had a fall whilst putting the bins out a few weeks back and my watch did its best to call services and emergency contacts. Sadly mine is gps only and I was too far from my phone for it to work, dammit.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I carry my phone at all times now.

2 Likes
  1. What if we acknowledge personal alarms are not perfect?
  2. Should we also recognise that there are a range of needs that vary between users?
  3. Is a failure of a device to not function as intended or expected every time (only doing so some of the time) sufficient reason to go without?

Hence a product may be less well suited for some while offering an adequate but imperfect option for others.

Is knowing which are the best of the bad bunch and those that are the worst still valuable?

• Will demonstrating where the best beat the worst encourage them to improve or go out of business?
  • Will showing the best where they fall short encourage consumers to ask for a better product and drive change for the better?

Hopefully Choice continues to periodically review personal alarms/monitoring devices. I’d like to suggest the Choice team might find benefit in classifying the devices according to how they meet different user needs.
Some users needs will be more challenging. Is there an expectation the devices in some instances relieve one of the need to be nearby? This may or may not be true depending on the circumstances of the individual user.

One week in using a LiveLife PA and impressed by the Company’s support information especially their attention to User’s Rights. Activated today by my husband ( maybe accidentally or deliberately - doesn’t matter) whilst away from me (walking our dog) and the effective call system went to first four contacts. I was in my vehicle by then and found him immediately with the GPS direction data. The other contact could at least speak to him advising him to stay still. ( He can no longer communicate effectively).
I’m hoping this PA will allow my husband some small modicum of independence as we deal with dementia.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @TMac
Hopefully first impressions turn to satisfaction.

We’ve looked at personal alarm devices to meet two family member’s needs. Each had different abilities and needs. Reading from the web resource for the product you mentioned I was immediately put off by their marketing.

A Personal Medical Alarm is highly recommended for most seniors and ……

As an older Australian (senior according to government) and one of many it’s a rather disingenuous claim by the business to suggest we are suddenly less capable and therefore needing this product. For most of us occupational retirement is no longer mandated by age. The strategy of always carrying a mobile is common. It’s just possible that a great many of us younger Older Australians are at no greater risk of misadventure than those half our years.

I did read on.
Our experiences include the assistance of aged care support workers. One challenge required finding an answer to a very simple question.
Whose need does the device most serve?

• Is the greater desire/need that of a family member/carer to be away from the user,
  • Or is it a personal need desired by the user?

Peace of mind it was suggested would not follow when there were either repeated false alarms or regular instances of the device not being carried. It was suggested unless the user was personally asking for and committed to carry the device at all times, it was most likely going to be a failure. A second concern was the device should never be considered an alternative to someone being nearby. IE in the same house or perhaps next door.

LiveLife Medical Alarms | Medi Alerts

1 Like

I accept much of what you say as a “young and reasonably fit” 72yr old I hope and am working to maintain my independence for as long as possible. As the primary carer for my husband who has always been independent, I looked for something that he would accept (first base) and second, something that allows us, on some days, space from each other. His dementia has had a slow onset so we have sought to “habilitate”; risk management is a juggling act. Advice from Dementia Australia initially suggested a PA to us a year ago. It will not be perfect but at this stage if it helps maintain his independent walk for another few months, it is a worthwhile effort, I believe.

3 Likes