People not complying with mask wearing

We’re noticing more and more people not wearing masks in the supermarket which has told me that there’s naught they can do, even the security have been told not to challenge them and that only the police can act. Any thoughts ?

1 Like

Around my part of rural NSW I have not seen anyone wearing a mask for months! With zero local infections since April last year it is easy to understand why. I rarely go to the supermarket these days, but if I was in Sydney would definitely be wearing one.
Regarding people not wearing one in areas where there are possibly infected people, just make sure you have one on when in public areas, and carry sanitiser with you.

3 Likes

It is shame that there are those in the community that think preventing the spread of COVID isn’t their responsibility and potentially don’t care if it spreads and causes a debilitating illness in the weak or elderly, possibly causing death.

There are others that believe the misinformation that COVID is some sort of hoax or conspiracy, or the government is impinging on their ‘rights’.

It is also unfortunate that many who take such positions also get hostile to those who challenge their position or the refusal to wear masks. This is why it is left up to the police to sort out those who think that the laws don’t apply to them. The police are responsible for dealing with such individuals and those who chose to ignore the law.

4 Likes

And even the police have serious problems with these idiots.

There will always be people who do not think that rules apply to them. It is even more worrying when they are coughing and spluttering unmasked and unchecked next to you in the supermarket isle (as happened to me).

What you have been told is right, in general private security firms have very limited powers. If mask wearing is mandatory, you can choose to report those not complying to the Police as only they or other Government authorities can take action. But be aware that some people may have medical exemptions (like Tom Cruise the actor claims to have).

My suggestion is leave the miscreants be, and stay well away to ensure your own health safety.

2 Likes