Peeled hard Boiled Eggs

Yes. Believe it or not, Woollies are now selling Sunny Queen Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/catalogue#view=product&itemId=361431248&saleId=36143&areaName=FNQ

Rush in tomorrow whilst they are on special for a mere $1 an egg before they revert to $1.50 an egg.

I will stick with buying 6 packs of raw Yamagishi eggs from our local Supa IGA for $2.99 per pack.

2 Likes

When I used to buy eggs from Coles and Woollies some years ago, I often saw cartons of Sunny Queen Eggs, around half of which had the eggs packed upside down.

I would have reservations regarding buying peeled hard boiled eggs from an egg company which did not seem to know even which way to pack raw eggs.

I would also be dubious regarding buying eggs from Coles and Woollies who used to not only have most stock relatively short dated, but also often had stock past its Best Before date.

I used to waste my time bringing it to the attention of the customer disservice desks, but as I no longer even look at their eggs, dominated by cage eggs, I simply leave it to the health inspectors.

1 Like

The only peeled hard boiled egg I would buy would be Chinese tea eggs (which we do from time to time). These take time to do oneself, but boiling a plain egg takes no time or effort at all.

3 Likes

Well it takes a little time and very little effort but perhaps too much for some people so the convenient already peeled and boiled eggā€¦Lazy tax in some/many ways.

3 Likes
  1. So should I ask for hand peeled, or are machine peeled just as healthy and nutritious?
  2. Is the premium for hand peeled worthwhile?
  3. Dianna Fisher might have also asked what colours do they come in?

Convenient! :rofl:

4 Likes

Only natural, that is hand peeled will do.

4 Likes

The partner is curious if they are consistently well boiled, or some have the ā€˜green ring of overcookingā€™.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still reeling at the thought that you can buy eggs already hard boiled and peeled. What do they do with those eggs which hang onto the inner membrane and thus do not peel well?

Iā€™m going to stick with doing it myself. Its cheaper. And you know what youā€™re getting.

6 Likes

ā€œthose eggs which hang onto the inner membrane and thus do not peel wellā€

This describes a freshly laid egg, hardly likely to be an issue. In my experience, shop-bought eggs are never fresh enough. If youā€™ve ever had access to fresh eggs youā€™ll know these donā€™t peel easily when boiled. However they are perfect for poached eggs.
Over 20 years ago I asked a sunny Queen rep about why we donā€™t get the ā€œlaid onā€ date, rather than the ā€œuse byā€.
Weā€™re working on it, she said.
Iā€™m sill waiting.

2 Likes

and yet, I still get it with old eggs. The supermarket ones with a useby date of yesterday. Not all, and not all the time, but it does happen.

2 Likes

Possibly good reason to have the ā€˜best beforeā€™ or ā€˜use by dateā€™. Us poor consumers would be left to guess, because the supplier and retailer have the control over what happens with the product between chook and pan. The same applies to all fresh produce and processed products.

I totally agree, Iā€™d prefer to also know more about the origins of fresh produce and picked or genuinely fresh date. The choice is then for the consumer to decide if they really need 3 month old apples, or to look for an alternative that is fresher.

Similarities?
When training your pet. Repetition and a controlled environment with limited options help. Donā€™t forget the little rewards of minor value, and strategy to subtly replace with recognition that has no cash value. Hopefully Iā€™m wrong but a well trained working dog and average supermarket shopper may have more in common than is at first apparent. ā€˜Fresh peeled eggsā€™ are just the beginning! :rofl:

2 Likes

Old eggs.

I wonder if they throw in a fresh egg now and then while packing?

1 Like

-Hopefully Iā€™m wrong but a well trained working dog and average supermarket shopper may have more in common than is at first apparent.-

I think youā€™re not wrong: Deakin University (among others) offers a Bachelor of Marketing (Psychology) degree where you can learn eg how to:

ā€œGet inside the mind of customers by learning about the psychology that drives consumer decisions. Youā€™ll be trained in innovative data practices that allow you to shine a light on the different facets of customers ā€“ from culture and lifestyle to personality traits and decision-making behaviours. Then, get practical experience translating these insights into influential marketing and communication strategies.ā€

2 Likes

I must say I agree with @mark_m.

I am a well seasoned shopper and have some background in ag food production. Even with this, I donā€™t know how long an egg lasts after it is laid if it is stored correctly. I could look it up I suppose. Butā€¦

One could say that this is easy to learn, but if leniency is given to eggs, then other fresh products (meat, fruit and veges) would also apply for the same labelling as precedence has been set.

Then one would have to remember potentially dozens of time periods from picking, laying or slaughter which would end up in possibly in domestic food poisoning when there is a mix up or the wrong period is applied to the wrong food product.

Useby and best before dates remove any responsibility for the consumer to correctly (or possibly incorrectly) determine such dates.

1 Like

As The Australian Womenā€™s Weekly Cookbook advises, use the water test to check the freshness of eggs.

Place the egg in a bowl of water deep enough to cover it.

Fresh eggs will lie flat.

Slightly stale eggs will tilt.

Stale eggs will stand upright.

And those that float???

1 Like

I just decided to look it up for interest sake, andā€¦

it could be 9 daysā€¦CSIRO - 9 days if not refrigerated

This one is 42 days in the fridge (and 6 days at room temperature):

or this one says 66 daysā€¦

And this one indicates that the dates may be arbitrary and eggs can be eaten after the dates (noting it doesnā€™t say how long after)ā€¦Nine.com.au kitchen info website

Being a consumer, what advice could be taken to reduce the risks of the eggs spoiling and one becoming ill through consumption of spoiled food products. Could I adopt the 66 days with my fingers crossed (or maybe longer if one adopts that on Nine)ā€¦when this seems to go against scientific evidence of the industry and CSIRO.

And then if one boils themā€¦the periods are different again.

Eggs and sink and float for various reasons other than the eggs age. However, if an uncooked egg floats, there is possibility it has spoiled and shouldnā€™t be eatenā€¦but all eggs which sink may not be 100% safe to eat either (egg could be cracked, contaminated with pathogens etc). This is why correct storage, only using uncracked eggs and adhering to labels is important.

I have actually seen eggs float. They were very old.

Another thing I want to add about eggs is the free range part. I remember a, while ago it was argued that free range eggs would be clearly labelled as. Iā€™m not sure what was, done about this. But getting back to the shops selling cooked eggs I will stay with buying my eggs uncooked

1 Like

Nah I donā€™t think they would bother, its all production line stuff. Besides, Iā€™ve had a friend give me eggs from her chooks, fresh and new, and they have peeled just fine. I think its random.

1 Like

Because peeling a hard boiled egg is just so damn DIFFICULT?