Pedestal and tower fan review

We’ve had a look at fans for your home, from the $15 department store specials to expensive brand name models. See the results in our fan review. We also have a fan buying guide to explain the different types and features.

If you have a cooling fan, what type and brand do you use?

3 Likes

We mainly use a Moretti 40cm pedestal fan. I chose it for its efficient (important as we are off-grid) DC motor, just 26W (+ only a few watts lost in the plug pack). It is also very quiet. It is quieter and more efficient than a Click brand 40cm fan rated at “ONLY 50W”, and it has a slightly better airflow, so the Click rarely gets used these days, except when a 2nd fan is rquired.

2 Likes

I purchased a 120cm Omega Altise Model OT120B last January from The Good Guys ($129 back then), despite some bad reviews (noisy, insufficient air flow). It is great. I wouldn’t call it noisy, I have to set it on slow speed at times (it is about 4 metres away from the lounge), and it has a tiny remote controller and a digital temperature display to indicate the room temperature. A couple of weeks later I went back to get another but they had run out and everywhere I searched on the internet they were either very expensive (in relation to The Good Guys) or none in stock with no delivery forecast. Going to The Good Guys for a new printer one month ago, I had to pass by their fan display area. Lo and behold, they had the fan back in stock (now $119). I bought one, as well as the printer. Now I have two of the fans. Both quiet, both giving great air flow and I can point the remote controller at either to get that particular fan to do what I want. Expensive, maybe. But I am completely happy with the product.

We’ve reviewed fans again for those interested :dash:

2 Likes

Measured wattage at max and min speeds would have been useful numbers to include! Looking at the DC Kambrook fan, I can’t tell if it is any more efficient that any of the AC models.

3 Likes

Thats my main fan, too. Went back the following year and bought the desktop version, also 40cm. Both are excellent and relatively kind on electtricity.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @gordon, I’ll mention it to our product testers for consideration.

3 Likes

We’ve updated our review on fans:

2 Likes

I want to get a pestal fan for my bedroom. I have seen one for only $29 AT Bunnings. Its a Mistral. Any experiences out there? Fan must be quiet as possible and easy to operate as its for an elderly couple on pension. Your help and recommendations/experiences would be appreciated

I have had a few pedestal fans over the years. In summer there is one in the bedroom and it is great.

From my experience.

A large diameter like 40cm is better than a smaller diameter.
A good height adjustment to well over a metre with an adjustable head to point it down onto the bed.
Three large blades to move the air rather than more smaller blades tend to be more quiet.
Oscillating head, I turn it off.
Multiple speeds, a must.
A timer to turn it off after a few hours would be great. Once you are asleep.

I have a Mistral fan from Bunnings and it works fine. Seems a reliable brand. But that is downstairs.

2 Likes

Assume this is the product.
Mistral 40cm 5 Blade Black Pedestal Fan - Bunnings Australia

Choice has a buying guide and a current review of pedestal and tower fans, (Member content, Jan 2023). The Bunnings product is not included.

https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/cooling/fans/buying-guides/pedestal-fans

P.S.
We’ve an older 3 speed model Mistral with remote. There’s no assurance that the model from 4 years past is the same product. It’s not quiet, even on the lowest speed. When watching TV with the fan on slowest we need to turn the TV up 4-6 steps. On the two higher speed settings the fan noise is audible 2 rooms distant. A positive is the air throw which is evident 3m away.

2 Likes

The best thing to do is go to Bunnings and test it out. This will let you hear how noisy the fan is at different speed settings, and whether the fan blows enough air. Stand back about how far the fan would be in your home, and see if air movement is satisfactory or underwhelming.

The other thing to consider is how easy the fan speeds can be changed, is the tilt head is robust enough, if the oscillation on/off is easy to use and the fans stability. The later is important because if it isn’t overly stable and is accidentally knocked over, it might mean a new fan needs to be bought. It would no longer be a cheap fan.

3 Likes