Pastured Eggs

An interesting article regarding “pastured” eggs.

We always buy Mungalli Premium Pastured Bio Eggs from the Atherton Tablelands when they are available at our local Supa IGA store, and we happily pay $7.98 for 10 extra large eggs, not just for the welfare aspect but also because they are the best tasting eggs.

https://www.mungallicreekdairy.com.au/products/bio-eggs/

Unfortunately, there has been no stock for the past fortnight, either because the hens are on strike or the demand exceeds supply.

3 Likes

I came here imagining that “pasteurised” was intended. (I at last recently acquired the know-how and equipment, I hope, for pasteurising eggs.)

Having been suspicious of ‘free-range’, I’ve seen the 1500/hectare ‘standard’ that Choice seems to have adopted, and I can’t see that 7 square metre per layer can be considered free range by anyone with a shred of honesty, and although I wouldn’t consider using that word in connection with Canberra I’m aghast that they’ve made 1 square metre their definition of free range.

So congratulations to everyone involved in this “pastured” innovation. Can’t wait for it to reach us here in Perth.

2 Likes

Pastured eggs are not be confused with pasteurised eggs. You will often see American recipes including pasteurised eggs especially when the end product is consumed uncooked. They appear to have a problem over there with salmonella in eggs which is much rarer in Australia.

2 Likes

Food poisoning from salmonella is happily uncommon in Australia but that isn’t necessarily a measure of the occurrence of salmonella in (or on, which is apparently a factor in most cases) eggs. Maybe we just don’t take risks as much as they do in USA. That’s certainly the case with milk.

Official health advice plays down the risks but despite the she’ll be right tone recommends very strict limits on the use of raw egg. I intended more detail but this is really off topic so I’ll maybe post a new thread.

2 Likes

There is a local egg producer that meets this standard and calls the product ‘from hens free to range’ which is apparently better than ‘free range’. I have seen their operation, the hens are like ants swarming over a patch of bare dust or mud depending on the weather.

2 Likes